Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas Tank

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by danny7139, Nov 24, 2006.

1. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

How can I find out what size gas tank I have? I can't let it run down to empty because my gauge is messed up, go figure and I don't want to get stuck somewhere. I was looking at the brochures and it showed a 25.8 standard tank. I could have sworn it was a 31 gallon and I'm pretty sure that is what I bought to replace the stock one when I did the restore.

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

What vehicle you talking here? K5, Sub, pickup?
    IIRC, for a K5, 25 was standard, 31 was optional, from factory. for some years anyway.

3. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

Opps sorry it's a 88 k5, Is there a way to find it from the service parts list on the glove box? Anyone know the number for the tank size?

PS, anyone know this lady? http://www.coloradok5.com/brochures/1987/gmc6.jpg
    Looks like her eyes could eat my soul.

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

~25 gallon tank is 28 3/4 x 28 1/8 x 10 3/4

~31 gallon tank is 28 3/4 x 28 1/8 x 12 3/4

The difference is height, which is tricky to judge, and isn't easy to get a measuring tape in there, but it's doable.

Also, if you have a skid plate, IIRC there's only one size of those, so if there is like 1/2" of clearance from tank to plate, it's the 31, and if there's a lot more (like 2 1/2") it's the smaller size.

My experience is that most trucks came with lots of options, including the larger tank.

You can look up the RPO's online ... I don't have a list for newfangled trucks like yours or I'd be more help ... but I'd measure yours to be absolutely sure.

-- A

5. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

i wonder what size mine is