Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas tanks & skid plates

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SuperUnknown, Apr 26, 2001.

1. SuperUnknown

SuperUnknown 1/2 ton status

Well the "hole" in my gat tanks turned out to be "holes" and lots of them, so a new one is on the way and I have a few simple questions for y'all. First off what kind of paint/coating should I use on the new tank to protect from rust? and second where can I get a skid plate or a plan to build one or even just some good pictures?

[​IMG]

2. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

My 1990 came with a factory skidplate on the gas tank, so you might be able to find one at a boneyard, or maybe try a dealer. As far as coating the tank, find something good and rugged, that also ends up smooth (so it doesn't hold mud in as good) I've heard good things about POR-15. Let me know how it works out, the same thing is on my project list.

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I never did find a good skid plate for my old 75 Blazer. That tank (seems like mine was 28 gal??) is in a terrible place! I eventually lost at least 5 gals (probably alot more) of capacity by caving it AND the skid plate in. There was a thin plate (factory?) on it when I bought it but it was quickly obvious that it was not sufficient. I got lucky and stumbled across a heavier one at a junk yard (looked home made but good) but even that didn't hold up. I always wanted to build a heavier plate but never got around to it.

Anyways, my rambling point is that the tank is very exposed and needs some serious protection. I don’t think the factory plate is even close to strong enough for rock crawling. My K30 is getting a relocated tank above the rails (on the inside) and I’ll have to spend some time figuring out how to build plates for the rest of the exposed underside. A single heavy, bolt in plate from the engine oil pan going back past the 205 is my ideal but it will be hard to make I think.

Hey, anyone got good pictures of good, heavy skid plates for gas tanks and/or other areas?

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I've got an idea for a gas tank skidplate - Fab out of 3/16" plate and weld 1"W by 1/2"D channel iron braces on the tank side. It wouldn't take too much to do, and would theoretically take all the abuse you could throw at it.

[​IMG]

5. AntAZBlaz

AntAZBlaz 1/2 ton status

i'd go with the por 15 i've used it my truck just make sure you follow the directions and it should turn out really good, i had a rusted battery tray that i used it on about 7 months ago it worked out well for me.
    Anthony

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I got a fairly beefy factory skid plate from a 70-something Suburban on my '75. It bolts to the frame in about 6 places and completely encloses the tank. It has drain holes so that mud doesn't build up between the plate the the tank. It's held up well, but I try not to slam dunk it onto boulders. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author