Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas to Diesel... And california smog laws...

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by willyswanter, Jul 13, 2003.

1. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ok, I am still debating on putting a 96-98 12 valve cummins into my 96... Either do that or rebuild the vortec 454 thats in it. There is only one thing holding me from the diesel and that is the smog laws.

For those of you that have gone gas to diesel, and that live in california, what did you go through? I'm assuming that once I do the swap, I have to take it to have it inspected then I get a new title where it's done as a diesel? And that ends my smog checks correct?

I know the laws as far as engine swaps where it has to be = to or newer in year than the vehicle it's going into, all smog related equipment must be transfered from donor to receiving vehicle, etc. And I plan on doing all this. So I don't really care if they want to smog test me, I just want to make sure that I don't get all this done and they say nope, not legal...

So anyway, something else, who makes a bell housing conversion so I can put a GM bellhousing behind the cummins? And last but certainly not least, I have 5.13's and 39.50's and currently cruise at 65 at around 2000-2100 rpm's... Is this too much for the cummins? I really don't want to replace my 6 month old gears /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Thanks in advance everyone /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

The GM bolt pattern bellhousing for a Cummins 4bt or 6bt is a Cummins part. Find a Cummins shop near you and look up a bellhousing for a P30 stepvan with a 4bt in it.

3. willyswanter

Is that an adapter or a whole bell housing? I need an adapter to go to a 4l80e auto...

4. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

I don't believe you can change a gas to a diesel legally.

5. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Why not?

6. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

Emission laws usually only permit same type engine swaps of similar design types. Like putting a 454 in place of a 2.8 v6 isn't considered same type or purpose, the same for diesel.

7. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

I think it must vary by state.

8. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Jason.. OBD2 and OBD 3 testing are coming to both of us at some point.... and that includes diesel.... I dont think you can do it here in the sunshine state but a referee is the best answer to get not some bimbo at DMV....
    I was looking at a 6.5 conversion.... I think that might be possible as it was an engine (6.2) that was available n my truck... but I nixed it for the 15 mpg that my 350 ci k30 tbi gets,,, and thats with a huge 9 foot heavy duty service body on it.. (Forest service loves to spend our money on vehicles and I love to buy them cheaply at aution) It would take years for the conversion payback if ever...
    cAM
    "HERE JEEPY JEEPY JEEPY" now that was funny

9. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

That is the whole bellhousing that bolts to the rear of the block. You can get a Dodge, Ford, Chevy, or SAE bellhousing.

10. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

last i knew it was ok here and a big ++ if ya take it in to dmv they reclassiify your rig as a a diesel so SMOG FREE but ya call a referee first is GREAT aAdvice
    Good luck and let us know the out come
    Randy

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    last i knew it was ok here and a big ++ if ya take it in to dmv they reclassiify your rig as a a diesel so SMOG FREE but ya call a referee first is GREAT aAdvice
    Good luck and let us know the out come
    Randy

[/ QUOTE ]

I told him to come here and ask, and yes I have a 76 blazer that was converted to diesel and not even GM diesel so I know in CA it's feasable, the only thing I am not sure of is the fact that his is a newer vehicle.
    By the way my 76 blazer has a 67 perkins in it but I guess a few years ago it wasn't that big of a deal or they couldn't verify what year it was so they said it was a 76.
    Jason: like I told you before and others here, the referee is the first one that can tell you and if you want, PM me on NCBD your specs (year of truck, engine you plan on putting, etc.. ) I will make a call to a refree here too and get you some answers, maybe refrees in Bako are not friendly enough /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. willyswanter

Yeah but arent the ref's in Bako the ones I have to get inspected by? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

13. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Did You take a month off from CK5?

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Did You take a month off from CK5?

[/ QUOTE ]

I took a month off everything, I bought a house and I was in the process of moving /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Now I am moved in but also my work was relocated to the field so I spend all day out and don't get much computer time and when I get home I am too tired to surf.
    I still try to get on at least once a week now.
    Funny how you noticed though /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah but arent the ref's in Bako the ones I have to get inspected by? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yes and no.
    Yes they have to inspect it when you are done, but if they are being assholes, and you talked to another one that is better, you can have it inspected and registered anywhere in California. Doesn't have to be in your area.