Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas to diesel for Blazer

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by CaveBlazin, Dec 5, 2003.

1. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

How hard would it be to convert from Gas to Diesel if the donor vehicle is a 85 burb to my 86 K5?? Any tips would be great...

2. CaveBlazin

Ok I did a search like I should have but still can not find anything about converting from gas to diesel there were some questions answered but things like do you need a new wiring harness etc... Thanks for the help.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Check my old posts in this forum. I did this exact swap last year at this time. I swapped the engine bay harness from the donor into my truck, and I swapped the under dash harness as well as the gauge panel junk so I'd get the GP light and the fuel gauge that says "Diesel fuel only".

It wasn't hard to do and you'd be very hard pressed to tell the truck wasn't an original diesel equipped K5.

Rene

4. CaveBlazin

Other than military diesel's which has goveners all over it, is there a big difference in the power etc.. What Im trying to ask is whats the difference in performance and other things...
    Thanks,

5. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Other than military diesel's which has goveners all over it

[/ QUOTE ] What governors?

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I honestly didn't find there was much of a difference in acceleration between my 350 and the 6.2 I put in. The redline is different (3600 versus ~5000) but for general driving it isn't different enough to take much notice of.

I did it for the better low end, no stalling at any angles, and double the mileage. It's also a much simpler technology, much less tinkering to get it to run right...

Rene

7. CaveBlazin

Well I dont mean govenors but restrictor stuff I remember working on the hummers and they have them all over the emissions stuff..

8. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

CUCV's dont have emmision crap and its been about 8 years since I worked on a hummv but im pritty sure they dont have any either. Only civilan 1/2 and maybe 3/4 ton have the emissions stuff or C vin. J code is without.