Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas to diesel swap *added Poll* voice your opinion!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Oct 1, 2002.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I want to swap to a diesel engine in my 90 Jimmy. What all would I need to do or need?

2. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

Re: Gas to diesel swap

Well maybe I can be of some help, one thing I would recomend is going to a wrecking yard or order new, and gett the instrument cluster so that way you would have the "Glow Plugs" indicator and other things such as the ingnition switch but would be a pain you the kay to it was not there. the years that would go best wityh your '90 would be '89-91, I am not sure but I think a '88 would also work. what diesel are you planing on useing?, the
    350 Diesel, 6.2L, 6.5L?

LooksBack

3. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

I'am going to do this next year. Here are some of my plans as of right now, i've never done a swap but i'am sure its not to hard just envolved.

1. find engine. I'am looking at a custom built 6.5. pricey but if you going to do it , do it right. either NA or turbo not sure.
    2. bigger radiator.
    3. hydro boost brake system.
    4. the right gauge cluster
    5. fuel tank, and of course the lines.
    That seems to be all of the big stuff i can think of , I'am sure there are tons of litte things but i'am ripping off the body and rebuilding it a diesel from the start so i'll cross those bridge's when i get there.

Check out www.thedieselpage.com and go to there vendors section , for some good info. also www.dieselautoservice.com
    or this place in georgia called the diesel depot , not sur of the web site but look under the story "the right stuff" on the diesel page , thats their handy work.

4. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Swapping in a diesel would be sweet. I was looking for an 4x4 S-10 to swap a 4.3L diesel into, but had to get rid of the engine before I found the truck.

If you were going to swap in a diesel and are planning on keeping your truck for a long time. Then why not do it "right" and swap in a Cummins, or maybe a CAT?

Other than the Duramax?? the best diesel that GM made was the 4.3L that was put in the 82ish Olds Cutlass Ceirra.

Hope I did not ruffle anyones feathers. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

I was wanting to use a 6.2L and put the Banks kit on it. I think the 6.5L has too much computer junk on it, and that's what I'm trying to get away from. I want my truck to be bare-bones simple.

6. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

cumputer junk is also what i'am trying to avoid. if i remember correctly , the 6.2 (which is the same thing as the 6.5, changed stroke?) became the 6.5 in the late 80's and it wasn't until 93 or so that they started useing an electric fuel pump. As far as a chip to control air/fuel and such things i don't know if they even had them.... maybe somebody who knows can chime in and clear this up...

7. BigOrange90Jimmy

My dad's a genious. He used to own an 82 Jimmy with the 6.2L. I wanted that truck so bad, but he sold it for $300 when the output shaft went out. He said he rolled the odometer over on it like 4 times, and all he ever replaced was a water pump and the driveshaft yoke. That thing would go anywhere. He pulled a combine out of the mud once with it and it only had 31" Mud Busters on it. I WANT A DIESEL /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif!!! Could I run a 6.5L in my truck? Like I said, I don't want all that computer controlled crap on it.

8. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

A diesel will only be as good as you service it. A lot people that have diesels have not F'n clue on how to take care of them. They always feel they have to stand on the skinny put make the plume of smoke out the tail pipe. It is morons like that, that give diesels a bad name.

9. BigOrange90Jimmy

Maint. is no problem for me. I'd be willing to work on it.

10. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    the best diesel that GM made was the 4.3L that was put in the 82ish Olds Cutlass Ceirra

[/ QUOTE ]
    More information on this engine please?

11. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

azblazor, where in the PHX area do you live? I used to lived in Mesa though it has been 4 years. Mine and wifes family still live there though.

The 4.3L diesel that GM built uses the same block that is in the S-10's. Though it is not a gas conversion. It is a full fledged diesel. It has a 20:1 compression ratio. I believe it most commonly found in the In the Olds Cutlass Cierra. The one I have was a '83. The heads on the motor were aluminuim. So you have to watch to make sure that the motor does not over heat. As far as power goes, it had plenty of it.

I almost pulled it out and to put in my K5, but my wife would not hear of it.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

12. BigOrange90Jimmy

13. BigOrange90Jimmy

Haha, one vote for each. That's hilarious. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif That's the same as having no votes.

14. BigOrange90Jimmy

Oh yeah, I came across a guy selling some *BRAND NEW STILL IN THE MILITARY CRATES* 6.2L's. He's also got brand new Deuce and a half engines. He told me $1700 for the 6.2L. What do you think? He's also got about 30 Deuce's, a couple of M1009 cabs, a set of matching 3/4 ton axles, and all the spare Deuce axles, tranny's, t-cases, and almost any other spare part you could want. I'm thinking it's time for a Deuce axle swap. I know it's overkill, but who said I have to be normal?

15. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am from the far west side, Litchfield Park. I have never heard of a 4.3L GM diesel!!! Only the 5.7L diesels prior to the 6.2.

16. gtkustoms

gtkustoms 1/2 ton status

I think you should drop in a caterpiller diesel, thats what I put in my crewcab.....works really well now. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The Olds 4.3L diesel is to the Olds 5.7L diesel just as a GM 4.3L gasser is to a GM 5.7L gasser. They took the V8 and did away with two cylinders. The 4.3L diesel shares many parts with the 5.7L diesel.

As someone already said, they came in late 70's, early 80's mid-size passenger cars, such as the Olds Cutlass (and possibly others).

18. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

gtkustoms, pics pf the CAT please? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nothing better that the sound and smell of diesel in the morning.

19. gtkustoms

gtkustoms 1/2 ton status

sure...I dont know how to get them posted in the forum?