Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas to diesel swap question

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by hidesertwheelin, Apr 29, 2006.

1. hidesertwheelin

hidesertwheelin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am considering buying a complete chevy 6.2 diesel truck to swap the diesel into my Suburban. Is it worth it to replace the 350 with a 6.2? Also does anyonw know ig the California engine swap rule of the engine coming from a newer truck apply to swapping in a diesel?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Is it worth it? That mostly depends on what your goals are for the truck...

I think it was very worth it for my truck. Firstly it wheels so much better now that I'm not fighting a carb on every hill, and the off idle torque still amazes me. Secondly, I can afford to drive my truck again becasue the 6.2 gets double the fuel mileage that the 350 I had used to get.

For drivability I don't feel I've lost anything...I wouldn't take my Jimmy to the track with either engine. It does just fine for regular driving and acceleration is comparable between the two motors.

If your goal is to tow and keep up with the CTD's. D-max's and PSD's out there then I'd have to say it won't be worth it to you. The 6.2 wasn't ever meant to make the kind of power any of those three make (reliably anyways) It's definitely a light duty diesel, but in that role it does very well.

The cost to swap in a 6.2 is usually quite modest too, and if you drive your truck regularly it will pay for itself in saved fuel in a pretty short time.

I have no idea on the reg's in Cali for the swap you're looking at doing.

Rene

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

In CA the same rule applies to gas or diesel, but the diesel doesn't get smogged so as long as the truck you get the engine from is from the same generation, there is no way the referee will know what year except by getting the numbers off and they don't do it.
    They look at the engine, it's a 6.2 so 82-93 fine, it's really attached to the truck and running on diesel, OK.
    Put TAG on it and never have to smog it again.
    :D
    If you want more info about CA laws, PM me

4. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

So swapping diesel is a terrific was to beat smog regs, eh?

Roz, you reading this?

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Lots of peeps do this but be carefull.
    SOme cops pull over diesel trucks and check if they have gas engines.
    If you do this, remove any emblems that say diesel and make it look like any other truck so they won't have a reaosn to check.
    Now if you are putting a diesel just to keep it diesel and not smog, then that is what I did.
    :D

6. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

I have acces to a 500 Caddy but I can't afford the mileage, want to be able to drive it a couple hours and possibly DD affordably. Prolly get a 6.2 permanently.

Anyone want the Caddy? I will be pulling it out of a '76 Sedan DeVille complete, and I have another minus accessories that may or may not be good, haven't pulled it down yet.