Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gas to diesel swap, smog legal in AZ?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by mini_mull, Apr 1, 2005.

1. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Hey, I was starting to do some research on swapping a 6.2L turboed diesel (maybe w/propane injection too) into the burb instead of my planned HT383 swap. But before I get too deep into the research I was wondering how this would work for emmission testing in Maricopa County (or up north if need be). If in fact it is legal, after the swap would I be tested as a diesel (if diesel tests are different) and how are diesels tested? Am I required to swap in the exact diesel that would have been offered in the 1/2 ton 4x4 burb, which I believe would be the "c" code, or could I do a "J" code 6.2 instead? Any info would be appreciated.

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have talked to 3 or 4 DMV/emissions offices regarding a gas to diesel conversion. As far as I could determine there is no statute like in CA where it has to have been offered from the factory. What I was told by the inspectors I talked to was basicaly; do the conversion with all the emissions stuff from the donor vehicle and bring it in for an inspection/emissions testing, they will decide everything looks kosher. The emissions for a diesel is based on the vehicle GVWR. They do not check EGR etc on a diesel, I have owned/emissioned 4 different diesels here in AZ.

3. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

azblazor, thanks for posting up. I was beginning to think no one in AZ had ever done the diesel swap, or even looked into it. I've never dealt with getting anything but stock gas vehicles through emissions, so I was clueless. I appreciate the info, and even though I'm still not sure which swap I want to do, at least I know I'd probably be fine doing either one in AZ. Thanks again.