Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gas to diesel swap

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Oct 2, 2002.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I want to swap to a diesel engine in my 90 Jimmy. I was thinking either 6.2 or 6.5L. What all would I need to do with the electronics and what other parts would I need. Right now all I know I need is the hydroboost setup, a different gauge panel, and other random parts. Has anyone done this swap? FEED ME SOME INFO! A DIESEL I MUST HAVE!

2. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Go with an early 6.5L. That way if you need to you can put a TURBO further down the road. Your going to need a bigger Radiator as well.

3. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What year is an "early" 6.5? If I go with a diesel, it's GOING to have a turbo. I gotta have that whine to go with the growl.

4. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Early 6.5's with turbo's I think were 1993. Some came in 92.

5. nevercomplete

nevercomplete 1/2 ton status

I would like to do the same with my suburban. Let me know how everything wirks out for you and good luck.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I have a diesel truck and a converted to diesel truck.
    The converted one is a manual so all that was needed was a bigger radiator, a diesel fuel filter, and an oil cooler.
    If you have an auto, then you have to also change the Torque converter, to a diesel T/C lower stall speed, add a transmission cooler and off course you will need a source of vaccum, mine had a pump on the engine my friend's is hydroboost.
    And I would recommend cleaning the gas tank really good flushing it with diesel fuel.
    Also you should check for the exhaust, I know that diesels use different mufflers because off the soot that could block smaller passages in gas mufflers. Unless you have a Flomaster or something like it with baffles instead of pinholes and glasspacks.
    IceMan