Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gas vs diesel delima

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jp0863, Jul 25, 2006.

1. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i currently have my 85 cucv with the 6.2 diesel. it runs well although low on power. it will need an injection pump and possibly new injectors, but is still within spec on pressure. it has a low oil pressure problem once in a while that i cant really figure out, but possibly related to main bearings. other than that it's a good motor for wheeling. my delima is that i recently aquired a very smooth running 1980 400 sbc. it didnt pass smog due to needing a new carb. i have been considering swapping out the diesel for the 400 and throwing a new carb on it to keep it simple. i have the suburban it came out of so i have all the parts to do the swap. it clearly has more power than the diesel which would make the drive to the trails easier. and has no issues with oil pressure and so on... can anyone think of any reason to not do the gas motor swap? i can do the swap for less than it would cost for a new injection pump and injectors.... any thoughts please?

2. jaredmajor

jaredmajor Registered Member

gas mileage?

3. jp0863

i rarely drive the blazer, pretty much just cruisin around town when the weather is nice and to the trails. mileage on the diesel is around 20 mpg, while the gas motor is probably half. ill probably stick with the diesel anyway, but wanted some opinions from other people and maybe some things i'm not considering

4. Wishbone

Wishbone 1/2 ton status

Most people would never trade a diesel for a gasser in a like for like situation.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Ever wheeled with a carb? 10 shades of suck compared to wheelin with a diesel. My IP and 8 rebuilt injectors cost me less than $350...

Rene

6. jp0863

thats kinda what i was leaning toward to, and it's a heck of alot less work to leave it alone..... thanks

7. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I would trade my 305 in a flash for a good 6.2 Diesel!!!!!!!!!!!
    nuff said!

8. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Id trade for a diesel any day. Ive got a 350 thats mildly built and fixin to get a bigger cam. should have awesome power but if someone offered me a stock diesel trade right now Id do it without thinking twice cause it is my daily driver and that would prolly double my fuel mileage.