Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gasket or sealant or both....???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 55Willy, Mar 27, 2003.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'm putting my 205 and sm465 together, just wondering if those old chunky gaskets are needed or can I just use sealant or should I use both????

-Jeremy
    please stay tuned for the next mod......

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

I don't know the answer so I will just make a smart alec remark so you know the post is not getting ignored..

Weld them together and eliminate the gaskets completely.

John

3. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'd just use some RTV. Works for me. Just remember to NEVER use it near an auto tranny. It can and will make it fail. I know this isnt you case, but wanted to throw it out there.

John /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I just did this, first time I just did the gaskets filled them up with gear oil and everything started to leak by the next day. Replace the gaskets again but used this crap [​IMG] and several gaskets are still leaking. I am just going to let it leak. But next time I will use gaskets and some black rtv silicone.

5. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i bought a sheet of gasket paper and made my own gaskets.i put that and some black permatex on and i dont have any leaks there yet.just have to fix the other ones now. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I like to use the gaskets with a thin coat of RTV on both sides. Just the gaskets is almost guaranteed to leak. Just the RTV is OK, but the clearances are designed to have the thickness of a gasket in there. Also make sure that the surfaces are clean and free of all old gasket material, grease and oil. I like to wipe 'em down good with laquer thinner since it will cut anything, and it evaporates fast and clean.