Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gasket: Tranny to T-case...now: torque conv bolts?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Aug 15, 2000.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I've a TH350 tranny and a NP203 Transfer case I'm putting back in my truck tonight. Looked all over for that paper gasket that goes inbetween the two but no luck. Will I be all right using RTV silicon? I got some of the copper stuff to try and if anyone's done this with no probs, that's what I'll do. Thanks.

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Re: Gasket: Tranny to T-case

I'm not too sure about autos but I've tried using that copper high temp silicon (orange stuff) with a 465 4spd/205 combo and a 465/208 combo and both times I've done that, I've had major leaks at that point. Soon as I installed a paper gasket, the leak stop.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods
    [​IMG]

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I don't like silicone. It will get into bolt holes and make a mess. I always get those gaskets from my local tranny shop. there the only place in town that has them in stock!

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Ok then I'll try to find a paper gasket. I sure don't want to get that thing up in there to have to pull it again. I tried Napa, O Reilleys, and Autozone and they didn't know at all. Maybe I'll wait on stabbing it in and call all the tranny shops around tommorrow morning. I think if I have to go to one more parts store today with a snotty dumba$$ clerk that knows nothing, I'm going to become homicidal. Thanks for the shop tip and the help on short notice guys.

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

5. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.

What NAPA did'nt have it, or could they get it ?
    As most people post here just go to any parts store !
    Good luck, I think you'll have luck at a tranny repair shop.

6. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I tried just silicone on my '77 with TH350 and NP203. It did not work. What a mess! I finally bought a gasket but didn't get in before I sold the truck. If you can't find one I could dig mine out and mail it to you. Let me know.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

thanks grim...this could have been a dumb move, but my old paper gasket was intact so I just reused it. We put that thing in last nite in one piece (tranny, transfer, and crossmember) and it took about 3 hours, a tranny jack, 2 floor jacks, a JD tractor, lots of assorted prying tools (jack handle, 1-1/4 box end wrench, bolts, crowbar), and a few not so kind words. But it's finally lined up and the bolts started thru the bell housing and crossmember. One thing though that has me a little confused. The old flywheel to torque converter bolts were threaded on the converter, this one uses nuts? This won't hurt me will it? I guess I'll just go and find some grade 8 bolts and nuts to use on it. Thanks for all your help!

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

No some are just made different. They acttully have a bolt for that that has ribs on both the nut and bolt to lock it down so it wont loosen up. Most of those style converters don't have the clearence to use a nut and lock washer. If nothing else use the high temp Locktite. You could try hitting your local tranny shop and see if they will give you the three you need.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

thanks bud, it did have me a little worried. I was really really hoping that I didn't have the wrong converter. I'll call the tranny shops today...

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

11. Ragbagger

Ragbagger Newbie

I would approach this with caution. I just installed a new gine, THD350 and rebuilt the NP203 in our 77. The only problem I have is a leak(leaks) between the tans and t-case. I could not find a new gasket anywhere in my town so I made one and used lots of silicone. It didn't work. I am going to have a local shop re-gasket it for me. I can't face up the doing that again. There is also a rubber o-ring in the back of the tranny. I must have put that in wrong as well. The bottom three holes in t-case have a special bolt with o-rings on them. I didn't re-use them. Don't do what I did. Good Luck.

12. waxer@work

waxer@work Registered Member

I guess no one thought of this but the gasket you all are looking for is at the dealer for $4
    I have bought mine a couple times when I had the tranny rebuilt and then again when I had the 203 tcase rebuilt. Then I had to get the gasket for the 205 when I did the conversion and once again the dealer came through. So, in short....call the dealer

13. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

You could also buy a gasket sheet and make a new one yourself. This is what we did in the military when I was in. If you do it right there wouldn't be any problem. I always use gasket sealer with the gaskets anyways. The black RTV has been the best for me in low temp applications. Sticks like gum to a shoe. Of course the orange for high temps.

Love, Peace, and Hair Grease...........

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

well I guess if it leaks, it leaks. I just picked up an NP205 t-case, so guess what's going in next time if I have to pull the thing again? You guessed it. haha. thanks guys for the help and heads up. Guess we'll all know if I ever get this thing running.

My big question to you is, why do we need a gasket at all? After looking at both tranny and case, they look to be both sealed units with a shaft drive. Why should it leak between the two? This I don't understand.

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

15. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Oil slingers in that area only half-efficient. If you ever get to OKC, Liberty Transmission has that gasket. Best to use Permatax 2B on that gasket before bolting tranny and T-case together.

Larry
    79 Blazer, almost done!!!

16. I had to go see the GM folks at the dealer to get mine so I would guess it would be the same for yours.

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!