Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

::GASP:: ford axle ID

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Broke_Wheeler, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Broke_Wheeler

Broke_Wheeler Registered Member

i know this should be in a ford forum but i know everyone here with there infinite wisdom can help me out... My boss just purchased a chunk of land.. thers an old F100 there with a 4 speed.. thats besdies the point... thers some "mystery" truck frame with two axles a torn apart Engine and tranny. I know its a ford because it says ford on the tranny and front lock out hubs. I was praying to god it was a D60( i believe they came in fords) but i dont think so.... The front axles liek i said has lock out hubs...its coil sprung front.. and the diff. cover has 10 bolts... im almost positive it a D44.. and i believe the pumplin/pinion housing w/e u wanna call it is on the left side of the axle if ur sitting in the truck looking straight out towards the engine...... The rear axle has a tag on it that reads WGB-A8 AAA (top row of tag) (Bottom row of tag) 50 9 461A something like that it was very rusty The rear axle has 10 bolts on the backside of the housing(where the drive shaft goes in) Both front and rear axles have 5 Lug hubs again i have no idea what kinda truck it is other than a ford.. all it is is a frame.. and the gas tank is centered in the very back of the frame if this helps.... Just some junk axles or something good? I figured i can snag up the front 44(im sure thats what it is) and use it for something..... Thanks for your help guys

2. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

Well with 5 lug hubs its not going to be a d60, and the rear isnt any 1 ton axle either.

3. Broke_Wheeler

yea thats what i sadly discovered... i just got excited im still new to the "finding parts in junk yard" and fabricating my own little projects.. i just got over excited. i instantly saw big ford frame, and D60 floating on clouds in my mind lol... Oh well.... any other ideas what the rear might be? ford 9 Inch would be over excited too i think... Thanks guys

4. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

5. Broke_Wheeler

So is that what it is a 9inch? Wow.. makes me kinda happy... Thers actually two of them.. One still in the truck, and one axle just laying on the ground next to it. Im thinking one of them might be gernaded or something seeing as there is a spare. The one by itself has angled shock mounts that are diffrent than the axle in the truck, but the axles themselves are identical. there pretty rusted up on the outside, but i think they can easily be cleaned up. As far as the transmission, its in a 2WD F100... i didnt venture to get in the truck to check out anything. Im sure my boss will PAY ME to take all this ""crap"" off his hands... i have no need for that transmission (yet) not the axles... but im thinking down the road... they might be a use for them or if anything try and sell them and try and make a few bucks... Now i just have to convince my dad to let me put some axles and a tranny in the back yard :).... so are these pieces worth scooping up and saving for awhile(the 9inchers if thats what they are) and the mystery transmission... also what about the D44? might as well scoop that up? any kinda thoguhts are appreciated... also as of yet i dont have a 4x4.. however im purchasing a running drivable XJ for a XBOX 360 yes funny i know... so im trying to hatch out a plan with these axles and maybe even the manual tranny for the XJ.. thanks guys

6. Broke_Wheeler

Any more input?

7. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Tranny = NP435
    Frant = D44
    Rear = 9"

8. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

does the front have drum brakes? if so you might want to check to see if it is open knuckle and has ball joints or not. i picked up a 44 HP from a 69' F100, and it had drum brakes and kingpins, not ball joints. there is nothing wrong with them by themselves, but factor in that you cant just swap knuckles out from a disk braked ford and they become less desirable.

9. k104salend

k104salend Newbie

For Shore

10. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

another indicator for me was the coils. in the OLDER fords, there were no coil sprung D60's.

11. Broke_Wheeler

Thanks

Thanks guys for the help. The front is coil sprung and has disc brakes. Im trying to wrangle my boss into letting me have them but he is renting the land all theses goodies are on so he cant give me a straight answer. My buddy is selling an '88 Ranger and im trying to get the 9 inch and that 44 to put in the Ranger just something to kill time. He wants 200 for the running ranger(front body damage) so if she blows im out 200 :) Thanks again guys