Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gate way clean air program

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by brian s, Feb 13, 2003.

1. brian s

brian s Registered Member

is anyone familiar whith the gatway clean air program?I have a 1985 k-5 with two ruined converters on it ...i am wondering if i need them at all ...and if i do can it pass without changing them?Yes this might be a stupid question but the truck needs to be back on the road!i am desperate!

2. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Hey Brian,
    Went through the ordeal a few years back. On your safety inspection, they are supposed to do a visual to insure all the emissions equip is there.

On the smog test, they only check the emissions...pass or fail. I have heard rumors of the smog guys having mirrors to slide under the vehicle to "have a look".

If you have 2 cats, do you have dual exhaust? True dual was never an option on our trucks and some inspectors will not pass it. Most muffler shops refuse to install dual systems...even WITH dual cats!

Try a new system utilizing 3" single pipe, 3" Flowmaster and 3" cat. You can buy a Catco cat and Flowmaster from Summit and take it to most muffler shops. You will be inpressed with the sound and performance.

You gonna make it to the Midwest K5 Spring Run in Hot Springs, Ark??

todd

3. Headbanger

Headbanger 1/2 ton status

There is a visual part to the inspection and if the exhaust is modified it will fail whether the emissions are good or not.Unless you get a tech who doesn't care! The cats take out more emissions than any single piece on the vehicle, so if they aren't up to snuff the truck will most likely fail.