Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gauge cluster interchangability

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big94gmc, Nov 10, 2005.

1. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

The five gauge cluster I took out of the '73 worked great, so it's a shame to let it go to waste. I'm going to eBay it and hope it gets picked up. But I need some info about it for the listing. What years shared the same gauge cluster as the '73 (with the speedo going to 100)? Wasn't it '73-'78? And, technically, this cluster could be used with any truck that had the mechanical speedo, right? What were those years?

2. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

....Anyone know?

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I can't give exact year splits, but the differences between later (again, not sure exact years) and the '73 are going to be, at a minimum:

Printed circuit board/instrument panel connector pinout
    Ammeter instead of a voltmeter
    Mechanical oil pressure gauge
    Speedometer cable clips to the cluster housing on yours, correct? Later ones do not.

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

i dont know exact... but i put a 73 cluster in my 78 a while back..... then i was going to put a 86 cluster in my truck but didnt want to loose the factory tach and once I go with a cluster that says... unleaded fuel only need a catalytic converter - at least that is what they said at inspection and I didnt wanna argue with them.... :haha:

5. drofdar

drofdar 1/2 ton status

Small Hijack, but anyone know of a tach that will fit in the large fuel guage hole on the right side of these clusters? Then the fuel guage could live in the small hole on lower left. It only has the BRAKE light on mine.

6. RootBreaker

what year?
    I have a 79 gmc cluster in mine.. factory tach...

so I got the big speedo, big tach, small amp, temp, fuel, and whatever the fourth is... :haha:

7. drofdar

drofdar 1/2 ton status

I have two, 73 and 80. Both have the large fuel guage. 79 GMC would fit, wonder where I can get one?

8. RootBreaker

www.car-part.com

9. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

I hope this is sort of what you looking for ?but the interchangebility will depend on the face trim right ??? my LMC catolog show a split for 73-75 76-87 but they dont sell the whole cluster, and the individual gages have a million splits. but the they sell the curciut panel thing for the back of the gage cluster and its split is the same 73-75 and somthing like 76-79, and all varies with tach or not! I would list it for a 73 and tell them to do there own research just to be on the safe side! I dont know if any of this helps at all

10. BizeeB65

BizeeB65 1/2 ton status

You putting that instrument cluster out of a 73 on ebay? Let me make you an offer first!

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

if im not mistaken, the "factory tach" clusters didnt come in light duty trucks, only medium duty trucks, C60s and the like. there are a couple of guys out there that modify factory clusters to accept this tach, and a smaller fuel gauge. one of them can be found in the 73-87 area of www.67-72chevytrucks.com , although i cant remember his name at the moment.