Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gauge cluster loss of power

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mostwanted, Aug 28, 2006.

1. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

I was driving down the road the other night when I noticed a spark under the dash then all of me gauges stopped working (except speedo). I check all of the fuses and all are good. I checked for loose connections and found none. Which harness does power come from and which pin if anyone kknows? Any other ideas are welcome.

2. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Maybe you can find a wiring diagram here (I have no idea what make, year, or model your vehicle is - you might fill out your profile if you have some spare time).

http://brochures.slosh.com/wiring/

3. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

If you saw sparks then more than likely you have a bare wire, probably from rubbing against something or from someone splicing wires and not correctly covering the splice. It should be obvious once you contort yourself and look under the dash.

4. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

You probably did this already, but I find that it's a lot easier top remove the dash pad (9 screws - 4 at the top of the instrument bezel, 4 above the glove compartment, 1 on the right side that you can see when you open the passenger door, the pad slides back and comes right off, easy as pie).

Clean up any dust while you have the dash pad off, if your instruments look dusty, pull the clear gauge cover and vac the dust off of the gauge faces.

(I pull the dash pad just to change bulbs, instead of crawling under the dash. It takes a couple of more minutes, but it's less neck acrobatics.)

5. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

Found it!! Bad ground! Thanks