Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gauge cluster...tach or clock?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SprinklerGuy, Jan 9, 2003.

1. SprinklerGuy

SprinklerGuy Registered Member

My 87 Burb has the 4 smallish sized qauges to the left of the speedo. The speedo and fuel gauges are large and the other 4 to the left are quite smaller. 3 of them are full, voltage, oil pressure, and coolant temp. The lower left of the 4 is empty.

Was this gauge for the clock? Seems too small for a tach. But, I want to put something there. Clock available or does anyone know of a smallish tach that would go nicely in there.

Thanks guys.

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

A clock can go there or if you have the factory tach, the gas guage goes there.

3. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I've seen brake idiot lights, other idiot lights, blank, vacuum gauge, clocks, and fuel gauges there.

If you've got a tachometer, it goes next to the speedometer and then your fuel gauge would go in the lower left of the group of four little gauges.

I've got a clock in that spot. It still works but squeeks so I unplugged it. As soon as I find another cluster with electronic cruise control I'm going to butcher it and put a tach where the fuel gauge normally goes.

4. ds350

ds350 1/2 ton status

I added a transmission Temp gauge where in the empty spot, my stereo has a clock.... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The clocks that sit there are pretty crappy. When GM went with digital radios in the trucks (finally! What was it, '88?) there was no need for the clock.

I'd say a good 50% of all clocks installed in these trucks have failed. It's a rare one that still works.

Since you can install digital radios (with clock of course)in the stock position without cutting the dash (such as one from an early 80's Cadillac, probably aftermarket ones too) there isn't much to be had by putting a crappy stock clock in your truck.

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The factory tach is hard to come by. I had a little tach in the empty spot for a while but got tired of how hard it was to see down there. Plus, it's dumb to have this giant fuel gauge that barely moves (do I need a big block? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif) and an itty-bitty tach over where you can barely see it. So I swapped the guts of the tach and the fuel gagues and made new faces for them on transparancy film. Looks stock and works great. The only problem is that my tach goes to 8000rpm, which is pretty silly in a k5. I think I will redo it someday by setting the tach to work in 6-cylinder mode and redoing the scale to 6000rpm. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

But to answer your question, definately put something in that slot, but not a clock, which is lame IMO. The more gauges the better. I have 9 and it is not enough.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Got pictures of that tach transparency? That would be neat to see.

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I emailed you the actual file that I used to make my gauge faces. I printed them out on a HP4500 color LaserJet on transparency film. Since printers don't do white, I just painted the back side of the film white to get the white writing and tick marks (white in the document= clear on film). The first slide is my original design that is in the truck now. The second slide is the revised design, still in progress. A 6000rpm tach is more appropriate than an 8000rpm one, and should work by just turning the switch on my tach guts from 8cyl. to 6cyl. Also, my fuel gauge has more range of motion than the original design accounted for, so the new design keeps it from going much above "F" or below "E".

I just matched the degrees of the little scale that came with the tach, but used colors and style to sort of match the other factory gauges. I considered making a copy of the camaro tach, since I have a few pictures of it, but I just decided to do my own thing since the camaro tach doesn't really match anyway. Several people have seen it and nobody has asked me about it, so either it is convincing as being all from the factory or people are not observant or curious.

The fuel gauge is essentially a copy of the large fuel gauge, just scaled down in size.

The film is glued to the gauge faces and then the needles are put on. I am happy with the way it turned out.

Oh yeah, the one problem is that the big plastic needle that came on the big fuel gauge has a more mass and rotational inertia than the tiny metal needle that came on my aftermarket tach. Because of this, the tach overshoots a little on fast movements, like downshifting from 2nd to 1st.

9. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

Speaking on the factory guage cluster. How would one add aftermaket guages to the stock cluster ? I've had the dash apart and couldn't figure it out. Any ideas ?

thanks

Dan.....