Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gauge Install and wiring

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by juanblzer, Jan 21, 2002.

1. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

Alright, I have a 85' K5 that has no dash pad or bezels. There is no heater instrumentation and I want to get rid of the factory gauges. I am going to go with Autometer and I will be making my own gauge panel that would fit where the original plastic p.i.t.a is now.
    Question: Is it hard to wire each gauge seperately? I want to replace the factory wires (at least to the sensor and gauges). Is this a major undertaking. Over the years heat and corrosion takes its toll on wires and I figured my new motor and what not should be watched carefully and accurately.
    Gauges I plan on running
    Tach
    Speedo
    Oil Pressure
    Fuel Level
    Amps
    and perhaps a Tranny Temp. gauge.

Are some of these easier to wire than others. My dad is an electronic engineer if that will help me. Is it better to run electrical gauges or Mechanical? Where are the sensors located anyway?
    Any and all replies/comments are greatly appreciated.
    Juan Prescott Valley, AZ

chrome sucks
    about chrome: "I didn't know it was possible for something to both suck and blow"

2. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Do a serch on installing guages, lots of people have done it, and lots are thinking of doing it in the future (such as myself). There are several of posts on hear about it including one from just like a day or two ago...
    Ike

Spreading The K5 Gospel!

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Try this.....www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

4. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

dont forget water temp....

Id run mechanical guages where possible.

-matt
    <font color=purple> "Stuff's only good for 2 things, degreasing engines and killing brain cells"</font color=purple>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/shaggyk5>www.geocities.com/shaggyk5</a>