Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gauge Light Wiring

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Apr 22, 2001.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I just ordered a trans temp gauge. I know I am going to have to run the lights to a wire that is on when the dash lights are on, and I need to run a wire for the lights on my Rancho 9000 incab controller that is on when the lights are on. Where is the best place to tap in for this? Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 4" lift, 33" BFG muds

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Some fuse blocks have a spot for this that you can plug into... although not sure on your truck. I wired mine into the exhisting radio Illum wire which isn't in use because I have an aftermarket deck. Check your wiring diagram for the color... probably orange or yellow... you can also check w/ a test light if no diagram. Worked excelent for my tach.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

3. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I have aftermarket deck too. I know what wire you are talking about. Does it dim when you dim the dash lights? Thats is what I want. Where is your tach mounted? Any pics? Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Yeah mine dims... again may very depending on year and that, but really doesn't matter because the tach is so much brighter then my stock gauges anyways LOL. I have my tach on top of the dash just to the right of where it dips down... almost under the rear view mirror to the driver's right. Looks good there, is outta my sight line but easy to see. I like the look of it mounted there... much better then in the left corner of the dash, on the floor by the T-case shifter, or on the steering column half covering my other gauges IMO. Plus I just drilled for the mount and drilled a hole for the wires to feed through, put some small wire loom on the wire showing and hid the rest of the wires under the dash pad... added some quick connects so it is still easy to take off the dash pad w/out reoving the tach. Looks great!
    No pics at the second... thinking/looking to get a digital camera in the next couple days... then I can go mad nuts w/ the pics hahaa [​IMG].

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

5. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Sweet! Looks like I found my wire! Thanks man!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC