Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gauge Lights In The Dash?? UPDATE with PICS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudslinger99, Jun 28, 2005.

1. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

The lights in my dash on my 84 K-20 that are supposed to light up my gauges are not bright enough.. They all come on and work but they are just not bright enough.. I know that there has to be brighter bulbs that fit in the stock hole..

So who has changed the bulbs to something brighter ?

Does anybody have a part number to brighter bulbs ?

Thanks

Here are the pics of the lights I'm talking about..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2005
  2. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

its been a while but i beleave they that mine in my 82 k5 were 195 or was it 194?...i got them from summit, but you can get them at a part store, summit offers brighter ones, and you can even get them in different colors..my other truck i got dark purple bulbs..looked pretty sweet at night

3. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The best thing you can do is pull the whole gauge cluster out, strip it down, and paint it with some chrome paint after cleaning all the dirt off, the difference is simply like night and day! (pun intended, lol)

Here is a link to more info on this upgrade from 73-87.com:

http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/interior/dashlights.htm

You'll notice a picture on the first page -- The difference is seriously that large, I actually turn my dash lights down now because they are too bright at full intensity!

4. mudslinger99

Are you talking about the lights that are under the dash ? It sounds like it if you are using a 195 bulb that looks like a 1157 but only smaller..

5. uglyangelracing

uglyangelracing 1/2 ton status

I just got some the other day at Wal-Mart of all places. Just like the true white headlights these are 194 though. The look blue but when I put them in they nearly blinded me. LOL

6. eds77k5

eds77k5 1/2 ton status

the chrome paint works, i did that to mine and it makes a difference, i can see the gauges now :cool1:

7. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

You can also replace the stock bulbs with LEDs. I did it to mine and they work pretty good. I can't for the life of me remember where I got them, it was online somewhere though.

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

interested in this... led bulbs but look like the factory ones????
    Thanks
    Jeff

9. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

10. Boondocks

Boondocks 1/2 ton status

Have you checked that the bulbs are getting to full intensity?

Maybe there is an issue with the reostat or a high resistance ground.

11. mudslinger99

None of the bulbs I have seen listed here are the lights that I need.. The lights I am talking about DO NOT look like a 1157 style bulb at all.. The ones that go in my gauges are real small, have a white plastic base and have no socket to put them in.. The make contact by the edges touching a circuit board when you put the bulb in..

I guess I need to go pull one out and take a pic of it so it will be easier to see the kind I need..

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The common ones are 194's. I believe they call that a bayonet style bulb. (it plugs into the holder similar to a blade fuse) They pull straight out of those holders. All the trucks use them. You remove the holder from the PCB, then pull the bulb out.

194 is not what all the bulbs are, there are posts here listing all of them, 168 might be the other common one used. Different wattage (brightness) is the difference, I believe illumination bulbs are all 194's, the brighter ones were for things like turn signals, etc.

GM typically used a different colored socket to indicate different bulb ratings, or the bulbs have the number printed directly on them.

13. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

BULB #194
    Candle Power 2
    Volts 14
    Watts 3.78
    Amps .027
    Lumens 25.1

BULB# 168
    Candle Power 3
    Volts 14
    Watts 4.9
    Amps 0.35
    Lumens 37.7

I installed 168 bulbs because they output more light at the same angle. Of course the wattage will be higher so it will create more heat but i have not seen any issues with it yet

Or you could go all out with the
    Bulb # 906
    Candle Power 6
    Volts 13
    Watts 8.97
    Amps 0.69
    Lumens 75.4

I think that would be a little too much heat, but it does meet the design spec as does the 94 and 168

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes, I've noticed in most clusters I've disassembled there is heat damage around at least one of the bulbs, never paid attention if it was the brighter ones or not. Usually results in the sockets not sitting tight against the PCB.

I painted my cluster silver inside, I don't think mine was as noticeable a difference as the writeup above, but I don't doubt it helped.

15. mudslinger99

Yeah they are the type your talking about.. I looked on the bulb but the number was not clear enough to make it out.. Great info thanks

16. mudslinger99

Now that is the info I was looking for :saweet:

17. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I research the hell out of everything i do dealing with electronics. I am a weapons system type in the navy, and people get nervous and antsy if i don't have the answer.

Need any more info let me know. I've got it

18. mudslinger99

Ok now that you fellows posted the numbers I have looked at the bulbs I have now and they are 168's.. I had to pull a few of them to find one with enough number left to see.. I couldn't make out nothing but the 16 and after reading this the last number must be a 8..

So did any of you try the 906's or do you think it would actually be to hot and melt something ?

It's funny I called the parts store and the guy that knows a little more then the rest was off for a couple days.. The guy that was there couldn't even tell me what bulbs I needed.. After asking me what size motor and all the other stuff they go thru he did say that they carry the 906's but he didn't know if they fit my truck :haha: . They are about $1.50 a peice so I guess if they won't melt anything I will try them and compare the brightness..

Thanks for all the info fellows it is much appreciated :waytogo:

19. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I was kinda kidding about the 906's They will ment your dash. Give me a second.....i8 will try to find you a Part # for a high Lumen/Low watt LED.

The typical LED puts out 1/10 the heat of a comparable filiment bulb as long as the input power remains the same.

20. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

look here

http://www.ledtronics.com/ds/AUT67/default.asp#9mmwedge

We bought a lot of LED from these guys when i was on the ship. We replaced hundreds of 186 bulbs (not 168) and they worked great. Plus they are vibration proof, no finiment, and have a lifetime length way longer than needed in any application.

Just look at the light angles and determine which you would need. I know they seem a little pricey....but you will never have to buy another one. Ever