Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gauge sensor routing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Sep 8, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

where is the best place on my firewall to run the mechanical oil line and temp line? any nice, big rubber grommets I should look for?

where on the manifold is the temp sensor, and were is the oil sensor? should I use teflon tape when installing the new sensors?

are the cheap compression nuts and sleeves actually going to hold the oil tubing closed? or am I going to have a cab full of hot motor oil :rolleyes: ?

Thank you very much for the help :bow:
    James

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

suprisingly my 87 had a nice factory hole up above the brake pedal, higher than the fuse box about an inch across i guess.. don't remember the 77.. USE A PROPER GROMMET. :wink1:

if TBI, water will be in the ds head.. if carb, ps front of intake, next to rad hose.. oil will either be right at the back of the intake, next to the dizzy or above oil filter in block...

don't use teflon.. you can put a small amount of thread sealant on... the ferrel/plastic lines have never failed me in 20 yrs. just make sure the line is properly secured and tightened... steelbraided is bling tho.. ;)
    hope that helps.... :D

3. 78Suburban

its a carb.

I cant find the water sensor on the front of the manifold :o (it was on the front on my old 66, but for some reason I don't see it on this truck)..

I cant spot the oil sensor on the back of the manifold either. :eek1:

I'm going crazy..

4. 78Suburban

[​IMG]

here are my new junk gauges.. I'm pretty sure I ain't got the skills to install them. :eek1:

why can't I find the sensors :(

thanks for the reply ryoken, I thought the water sensor would be at the front too.... maybe there is something I am overlooking

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

check the side of that ds head, between ports 1 and 3 for the water.. oil at back of intake is actually right behind the intake.. bell shaped usually.. or lay under and check in the side of the block above the filter boss..

6. 78Suburban

:bow: :bow: :bow:
    I'll look tomorrow
    and I'm sure I'll have more q's to bother yall with then :D