Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gauges/electrical

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by EDGE, Nov 17, 2000.

1. EDGE

EDGE Registered Member

I just bought all new auto-meter gauges for water temp,trans-temp,oil pressure and a voltmeter.Each one has two wires for the little internal lights.Can I tie all of the black wires together and run them to a common ground and tie all of the white wires together and run them to a wire that is hot when my haedlights are on? That would mean that all four would have common ground and common power.They are all mechanical gauges except for the voltmeter if that makes any difference.

2. SilverSolder

SilverSolder Registered Member

That should work. If it were me, I'd hook the white wire to the cicruit that powers the dash lights.That way you could control the new meter's brightness.

SilverSolder

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

That would wor find, but you want your white wire on a accessory wire so it's on when the car is running and not on the headlight wires. If it's on the headlight wires it'll only work when the headlights are on.. do you want that???

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

4. EDGE

EDGE Registered Member

Thanks.I thought that it would work but wasn't sure.I only want the lights on when I turn on the running/headlights.That way they arent on during the day.

5. Glenn

Glenn Registered Member

I just got back from my garage and doing this same job. I used electrical guages. I could not see any reason to use mechanical ones. It`s not a race car. Plus every car or truck I ever had had electrical ones stock anyway. The thought of oil all over the place when the tube breaks scares me. I have seen it happen. Anyway you want to hook up the white wire to the green wire that is comming out of the light switch. That way they will dim. I put 2 grounds to one main ground each. I did not like the idea of 8 (all) grounds going to one.

6. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

In a pinch you can also remove the dash lights fuse and carefully wrap the wire around one of the legs and reinsert the fuse. You get power and the ability to dim the lights.

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Hey Eagle, do you think with the added load on the dash light circuit with the extra gauges (think its 5 amps stock) an upgrade to a 7.5 is a problem?

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com