Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gauges installed.....now WHERE do I put these senders???!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

OK, I've been working a LONG time on this "Autometer Gauges in the Stock Cluster" project (close to 40 hours now)..... and I'm almost done, but I'm going to need a little help from you.

The instructions aren't much help in defining where the various senders should be installed. So far the only one I've done is the Oil Pressure sender. I replaced the mechanical pressure line fitting with the Autometer one on the driver's side towards the rear of the engine block (close to the TH350 shifter linkage). That seems to be fine, and the gauge works well.

The problem is that I still have to locate spots for Oil Temperature, Transmission Temperature, and Water Temperature..... I have this feeling that Autometer wants me to simply remove the drain plugs on the Oil & Transmission pans and put the senders there.....Is there a better place to put them? I don't like the idea of wires hanging down that low under the engine....it's just asking for trouble when offroading.

Also....I have no good idea about where the Water Temp sender could go. Is there a standard spot where people put this sensor?

Any ideas would be great. I'm looking forward to getting this project done this weekend, so I can move on to something else.....I'm getting tired of looking at wires, connectors and shrink tubing!!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

2. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

i thought the water temp sensor screwed into the top of the thermastat neck? could be wrong... and lets see some pics i'd love to do what you are!

3. Greg72

txblue,

I was able to post ONE picture in my gallery before all the problems with "uploading" started. You can at least see the cluster with the gauges installed on the workbench....but not all the "spaghetti wiring" !!!!

Are you talking about the "water neck" area where the thermostat is? I didn't see any fittings on mine.....but it's just an aftermarket "cheapie" chrome one.

4. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

I believe that BB have a spot for the temp sending unit in the head or block, at least that is where it was on my 396. I believe it was on the drivers side of the motor right about the middle. This is a better spot than the thermostat because it gives you the temp of the water in your block IMHO.

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Tap into the tranny pan for the Tranny Temp guage, oil temp is plumbed into my oil cooler line.

I had my guages done, cuz i know i would have messed them up/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

6. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

That sounds about right to me on the BB temp sender, mine is on the driver side head, about in the middle. The others....I dont know. On the tranny temp gauge, I would just go get a drain plug kit and install it on your pan where it won't be in the way, and a plug kit is somewhere in the $5-10 range? I think.

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

the problem on the drain plug sender location is rocks and stuff reaching up to grab it.

Greg: "Hey guys...you smell that??"

Guys: "Yeah Greg, your tranny is on fire" /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Greg's '72 is much to nice to let that happen to it.

8. Greg72

OK.....I currently have TWO down......and TWO to go! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

There WAS a plug on the driver's side cylinder head for the coolant sender. That worked out great. I used the factory connector for the oil pressure so that's done too.

Now I have to figure out the Oil Temp and Trans Temp ones. I was thinking about drilling a 1/2" hole in the SIDE of each pan and installing a bung there for the sender. It wouldn't be as bad as having them on the bottom. I also hate the idea that to change my fluids I'd have to disconnect the electrical from the plug first.....what a pain!

The gauges came just in time. Today my temperature switch that turns on my twin-electric fans FAILED....I would not have noticed except that my new Water Temp gauge just kept climbing and climbing and climbing!!!! I finally traced the problem back to the sender, so now all I have to do is locate a new one......the local Kragen's gave me a pretty "blank look" when I asked them for a replacement.

9. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Isn't there a sender on the drivers side above the manifolds ??? I have no Idea if it is the same on the BB though.Sorry,greg.......mike P.S. for the oil temp.

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

For the Oil temp put a T where the pressure sender goes and put them both into the same hole. For the tranny temp I think there are some pressure testing plugs on the side of the tranny...you could put it in there.