Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gauges... Mechanical or Electric?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Crash90K5, Mar 24, 2000.

1. Crash90K5

Crash90K5 Registered Member

I know some of my new gauges will be electric (like the fuel level and speedo), but I was wondering if mechanical are better than electric. I'm looking at the Auto-Meter Pro-Comp gauges - should I mix mechanical and electric, or go all electric?

[​IMG] <font color=blue>Crash90K5</font color=blue> [​IMG]

2. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

For general trail and street diving electric should be fine. They are a lot less hassle and if ya stick to a good manf. you should be fine.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

3. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

I would stick with the electric. I had a *eep with a oil pressure gauge that had the plastic tubeing that went to the back of the gauge and it busted. Oil on everything! I was dead in the water because of it. I replaced it with a nice Autometer that was electric. I never had to worrie about it again. The worst thing that could happen with a electric gauge is that it stops working.

Getsome

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

No way man. I had an electrical gauge on one of my old trucks for the oil pressure and I had to replace the "sender" twice. And even when it was working it wasn't nearly as accurate as a mechanical gauge. I have a mechanical oil pressure gauge in my Blazer now and I like the way it works. There is so much room under the dash and on the firewall, it was no problem to run the oil line inside.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Supposedly mechanical is more accurate. AutoMeter or VDO are the way to go. You can get a braided steel line for a mech. oil press gauge; much more rugged. I think I saw them in Summit's catalog. If you call them, they can most likely get it for you. BTW, I seem to recall reading a post that said the 2 1/16" gauges fit perfectly in the dash holes...anyone have info?

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

6. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Yes they fit great. The face will be even with the dash, though. At least that is the way we did it in my buddy's '76. I am planning on doing my '80 as soon as time and money permit. Jim.

BigJBear '80 GMC

7. Casey 86K5

Casey 86K5 1/2 ton status

mechanical gauges are more accurate and reliable than electric. If you do go with a mechanical oil gauge, dont use the plastic line, get copper line. It kinks easy, but will not break and throw oil everywhere. it does not take very long for 5 quarts of oil to spray out of that little oil hole