Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gauges on the blink...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Jul 31, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

My gauges are on the blink...When I turn on my headlights, my fuel level gauge pegs at empty...My oil pressure gauge is either not working and pegged at zero, working, or pegged past 60psi... My voltmeter works about 85% of the time and is pegged at zero the other 15% of the time...

What gives...My first thought were a faulty circut board behind the gauges... Any why the hell does my fuel say empty only when I turn on my lights...Thanks for the help gang...I really need it, as you may have guessed...

Chris

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You got some circuits crossed somewhere... My acted really funky when I first got the truck, it turned out that the connector was just loose. I reseated the harness into the recepticle on the gauge panel and they all worked fine after that. </font color>

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Well I fooled with it a bit more and found that the fuel gauge dieing is tied to dash lights....I figure this b/c when I turn the headlighs on but keep the dash lights OFF, the gauges are fine...As soon as I turn on the dash light, the oil, pressure and fuel pressure gauge die...Any other ideas?I will be going to Auto Meter gauges soon anyways...will the 2-1/16" AutoMeter fit well under the factory gauge bezel?

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> When I put Autometers in mine I used 2 5/8 ones on top of the bezel. The small holes have to be enlarged just a bit for them. The 5" monster ones fit nicely in the large holes.</font color>

5. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

sounds to me like a ground issue with your headlight/gauges. I would trace out the grounds from your headlight switch and the instrument cluster. Just a thought.

- Jersey

6. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yes, a ground issue. I just had something similar in my S10, ecept I had one other problem....if the guages would get to messed up my tranny would shift down into 2nd AT ANY SPEED.
    My problem was a wire that had be crushed and finally split and ended its life!!