Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gauges problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chris12, Sep 30, 2006.

1. chris12

chris12 1/2 ton status

Forest Ontario, 1/4 hr from Port Huron Michigan
    What will cause my gas gauge to read full and a half. It never moves. Also all the other gauges in my 88 K-5. But my speedo does work but its not accurate. Can anybody help me out.

2. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

If by "full an a half" you mean the needle is at 3 o'clock, than you've lost your ground somewhere between the gauge and the ground at the fuel tank sending unit. I've got a troubleshooting guide and a generic wiring diagram I can email you if you want. PM me, as I don't keep up on reading the forums very well, if you want them.

3. chris12

chris12 1/2 ton status

I will try tracing the ground.Thanks

4. chris12

chris12 1/2 ton status

5. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Sorry, I forgot about that... Emailed it to you...

6. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

If you left click on the name a window opens, next left click on Email:
    Send a message via email to alec78 however the user has selected to NOT receive emails!!! :(

Some one had this problem a little while ago and here was the reply to it.
    There is a company that deals with this also http://www.fix-a-gauge.com/faq.php

Q.: How Does a Gauge Work Or What's Wrong With My Gauge Anyway!!??
    Ans: All gauge systems consist of two major parts.
    The sending unit does just that, it sends the pressure, temperature, voltage, amperage and levels to a remote indicator (gauge). The gauge has to be calibrated to the sending unit. This calibration is accomplished via a shunt, located on the back of the gauge.
    The shunt provided by the OEM is mounted on a ceramic substrate or base. The ceramic is sensitive to temperature changes, i.e: expands when hot, retracts when cold. The ceramic substrate expands and retracts, BUT the shunt does not expand or retract. This movement causes the shunt to fail (open circuit), making the gauge useless.
    Vehicles have extreme temperature changes daily. Imagine a car sitting in the sun in August. The temperature inside the car can rise to near 180 degrees. You get inside turn on the AC and within 30 minutes you have the temp below 70.... The reverse in the winter....​

Q.: Will Fix - A - Gauge fix my vehicle's gauges?
    Ans.: If your gauge has a white ceramic plate across two terminals on the back, FIX-A-GAUGE will work.

Q.: What models years does Fix - A - Gauge fix?
    Ans.: Fix-A-Gauge works on model years 1969-1993 of General Motors vehicles, International trucks and busses, John Deere and Case tractors.

Q.: How do I know my fuel gauge is broken?
    Ans.: Fuel will indicate 1/4 of a tank when full. The needle will not move until tank is under 1/4 of a tank.

Q.: How do I know when my temperature gauge is broken?
    Ans.: The temperature gauge will show hot all the time.

Q.: How do I know when my oil gauge is broken?
    Ans.: The oil gauge will show low oil pressure all the time.