Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gauges stoped working.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by smokkey1, Jan 7, 2004.

1. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

HI guys

ok my speedometer,oil and temperture gauges are not working I checked the speedo cable it's conected not sure where the other ones are conected to any help would be appreciated

thanks justin

2. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

It would help,
    if we knew what type/year/brand vehicle you are working on, Is the speedo electronic or cable driven? if cable, take it loose from the tranny or t-case and see if you can spin it by hand/or drill, and see if the speedometer it's self is turning in the cluster, if it's not cable may have snaped. If elec. since your other gauges are'nt working either, try checking your fuse block for blown fuses, or loose connections. Hope this helps, the "pro's" on here can help ya more I'm sure.

Conoverbandit

3. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It would help,
    if we knew what type/year/brand vehicle you are working on, Is the speedo electronic or cable driven? if cable, take it loose from the tranny or t-case and see if you can spin it by hand/or drill, and see if the speedometer it's self is turning in the cluster, if it's not cable may have snaped. If elec. since your other gauges are'nt working either, try checking your fuse block for blown fuses, or loose connections. Hope this helps, the "pro's" on here can help ya more I'm sure.

Conoverbandit

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks I'll try what you said... the only gauge that works' is the voltmeter.it's an 90' suburban the cable is still conected to the transmission (i think)... well any one else have any tips....

thanks
    justin

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

It sounds like Conoverbandit is putting you on the right track..... You 90 Sub should have Elec speedo.... I'ld check for blown fuses or lose conection....

5. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I checked the fuse block and everything seems to be ok...anything else i can check.

thanks
    justin

6. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

Have you "tested" each fuse? turn switch on, take a test light and put to each side of the fuse if both side light up then fuse is good, I've had experince where the fuse looked good when pulled and visualized but test it with light and it was not making a connection, test all the fuses this way, and if you touch one and everything starts working then you know you have a loose socket possibly. take the fuse out and slightly bend the prongs on it opposite each other and reinstall, should be tight fit, we have this problem on some of our big trucks at the city, the road vibrations cause the fuses to become loose and 1/2 everything quits working lol. Hope this helps ya bud, wiring can be a pain in the gizzard............

7. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I would check all of the connections under the dash. Not just the fuse block but all of the connections. My brother in laws 98 Suburban wouldn't start and that was the prollem. At least one of the plastic connections had vibrated just enough apart that it looked connected but wasn't. Good luck to ya.

Allan