Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gauges

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Aug 26, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

now that I'm starting to wheel with the burb, its probably time to upgrade from idiot lights.... Summit has nice panel with temp and oil autometer gauges warning lights.. I am considering saving up and shelling out almost $200 to get all the autometer gauges I need......... I know they're the best, but I was wondering, how accurate are the $30 parts store gauge clusters? Would these accomplish the same task for almost 1/10th of the price?? Building on a budget, I find it hard to justify running ultra trick racing gauges..

So are cheap gauges junk?

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I think most of it comes down to brand loyalty and looks. I shelled out the money for autometer gauges, but I wanted certain guages in certain styles. The ones at the parts store are all generic faceplates. I got AutoMeter Sport Comp gauges from Summit and made a custom gauge panel. Ill post up pics when Im done.

I cant say that the [Sunpro, most likely] gauges are going to be junk. I have used them in other cars with absolutely no trouble. Im sure they would work fine.

As I said, its mostly just looks and brand name pimping. The choice is yours...

3. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I had a sunpro tach years ago and thought it worked out okay. You should also check out e-bay. I got an autometer tach for a pretty good price. And, I think autogauge is made by autometer, its just their budget line.

4. 78Suburban

All I'm concerned with is function. I would like to brand name pimp, but its not important.

5. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i bought the triple gauge cluster from autozone and they seem to work fine.

6. 78Suburban

ttt
    know this is boring yall, but anyone else have experience with cheap gagues?
    thanks ;)

7. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Umm ... another possibility would be to upgrade to a factory gauge cluster. They're cheap, prolly about as much as that parts store cluster (unless you get a factory tach, but that's another matter) ... might hafta switch a sending unit or two, but the wires should be the same and it should just drop in.

-- A

8. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

Look at the summit brand with out the lights.... Nice guages imho, I have a set of their 2 5/8" guages that are 3 or 4 years old and I am very happy with them.

The big difference in guages is the degree of sweep, most of the cheap ones only move the needle a short distance and are very hard to read quickly.

9. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

I have used the Autogauge triple cluster for years and it has always worked great. Pretty inexpensive too...