Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gauging interest - custom diff ring for shaved 14FF

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by Emmettology 101, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

*disclaimer* Checked with Ker(cybrfire) before posting this for his approval. I am posting this on my own to see if I can get anyone else interested in a product like this to help on costs to me since this is sort of a one-off product at the moment.

Ok now, that I got the legal mumbo jumbo out of the way......

I am building my 14FF and will be shaving it similar to the way it is done in the 14FF Bible on POR. So I started thinking about diff covers and building my own. The problem I ran into is that a regular diff ring that fabricators offer for the stock 14FF wont work since the shaved part would be a few inches higher than a normal ring bottom. So I contacted Cybrfire about making a custom ring that is basically the same as a stock ring except that the bottom has more material on the inside of the bottom so you can trim it to how you shaved your housing. These also wont have the bottom (3) holes drilled since you wont be using them...

Here is a pic similar to how I will be shaving my 14FF:
    [​IMG]
    *picture is from the Billavista 14FF bible tech article*

And here is how the custom diff ring would look for shaved 14ff:
    [​IMG]

So, would anyone else be interested in a diff ring like this to make your own diff cover for a shaved 14FF?

***EDIT*** Thickness's in discussion are 5/16" and 3/8"..

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

why even have that extra lip at the bottom and not drill for holes on the bottom? I wouldn't consider shaving that much without adding another bolt hole or two on the bottom. You should know BlueTorch Fabworks has a shaved 14 bolt kit in the works. Including a ring gear preshaved and cover. Not sure when and even if they will come out wiht it but it was discussed and Dan said they wanted to persue it.

I reread and saw the reasoning for the extra lip, everyone shaves just a little different, makes sense.

3. Emmettology 101

Well everyones set-up may be a little different unless everyone would cut the same amount from the bottom and use the same thickness of plate for the bottom. Some may not go as far into the ring gear as others. Those variables would make it very hard for the fabricator to get the bolts in the exact place for everyone.

Leaving the bottom blank like that will allow the end user to mark where the ring need to be cut, where the center needs to be opened up more and where the bottom holes would need to be drilled.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah I realized the point of it(edited my post with another paragraph).

5. Emmettology 101

[ QUOTE ]
    yeah I realized the point of it(edited my post with another paragraph).

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

yes i'd buy one

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

i'm not interested, mine doesn't leak.

8. bgreen

bgreen 1/2 ton status

all you have to do is supply the end user with a blueprint, and/or a template.

9. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Not to be a dick or anything but I think most people who go as far as BillaVista and shave the ring gear to get a little more differential clearance would also make their own cover. What I mean is that there is some fairly advanced fabrication cutting up the housing and ring gear like that so logically they would be qualified to make their own covers. Personally, I think its a good idea I just dont know if it would sell. Again, not trying to rain on your parade just throwing this out there.

10. Emmettology 101

[ QUOTE ]
    Not to be a dick or anything but I think most people who go as far as BillaVista and shave the ring gear to get a little more differential clearance would also make their own cover. What I mean is that there is some fairly advanced fabrication cutting up the housing and ring gear like that so logically they would be qualified to make their own covers. Personally, I think its a good idea I just dont know if it would sell. Again, not trying to rain on your parade just throwing this out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense taken. I will be shaving my own 14ff and will be making my own cover... But I dont have access to any type of precision cutter to make a ring like these. Plus at the price that these rings would go for, it almost doesn't pay to hunt down a mfg that will. Sure I could cut one out with your normal power tools(and have most in the garage), but for the ring, I would rather have one made that is precisely cut. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Cost could be a prety big factor /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif. Kewl /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. Emmettology 101

Not sure if I am allow to give out prices yet, so I ownt. But the normal rings are $36. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Thats because you still have the bottom bolt! I'd know, it used to be my axle! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif