Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gave up for the night

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Apr 15, 2002.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

well got the start problem fixed (was a grounding problem), and had a leak in an oil pressure sender that I had to take the distributor off to fix.

well I've got all the done, and I think I'm going to let the rest wait until morning. now I have to get the timing close enough to get the thing to start! (I remember how much I fought with that the last time - hoping it is easier, but I've already drained the battery once.

I'm hoping I get the timing close enough to do the cam break in fairly early in the day tomorrow so I can put all the body pieces back on.

2. I don't know if you thought of this, but you can static time the motor to get it fired up on the first try. 1) Have the motor on top dead center for #1 firing order, 2) Have a spare spark plug hooked up to the #1 spark plug wire and ground it on the motor(you don't need to have the #1 spark plug removed from the head), 3) Turn the ignition to the on position and rotate the distributor slowly until you get a spark from the plug attached to the #1 plug wire. That will put you really close at least TDC. It will keep you from draining the battery down.

Later.

3. Actually, if you know what the timing specs are for your cam, you could set the motor on 4 or 6 degrees before TDC and static time it that way. That would put you very close to your timing specs and help it break in better.

4. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

WOW - that are some great timing suggestions, and I think I will try it. appreciate the FYI

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You don't want to crank the starter for a long time on a fresh rebuild. If the engine doesn't start right away, determine why and fix the problem. Cranking and cranking on the starter can waste the lobes on your new cam. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif The engine needs to fire up and then be brought up to 2,000-2,500 RPM right away.