Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gawd I am an idiot... (D60 assemebly question)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jekbrown, Aug 21, 2002.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I may be dumber than a fence post... but I can't figure out wtf is up with installing the rotors back on my D60. The shop put everything together inside the axle, and then from the rotors out I was gonna install the stuff (new warn hubs etc). At any rate, i pack the roller bearing thingys, install a new hub seal and then when I go to slide the whole assembly on the axle it only slides on about half as far as it looks like it should before the rotor hits the assembly that holds the caliper. That thing (painted black in the webshots pic) wont allow the rotor to slide on as far as it needs to. I know this question is very "wow, what a stupid question" type things, but I have just spent an hour trying to figure it out, and I'm getting pist! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif Of course, both of the Chilton books I have are completely useless.... and the D60 manual I DL'ed off ck5 isnt helpin me much either. anyone have a clue? heeeeeeelllllpppp!! /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

the pic of whats going on is on my webshots (link below!)... just go to the "wtf?" album and there it is... thanks in advance!!!!

J

2. jekbrown

if the album cant be seen in my webshots... it may be because it takes 30 mins for pics to actually be posted there for public consumption. When it is up, the album is the first one on the list...

J

3. jekbrown

k guys... pic is up... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

J

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

may sound dumb but did you put the right bearings in? also there is a inner and outer beearing did you put the outer on the inner part?

5. jekbrown

the bearing are different sizes, only the big'n will fit in the end that u slide on to the axle. The bearings are not the problem here... i cant slide the rotor on far enough because the rotor hits the steel bracket thingy that holds the caliper. For a few mins I thought that the ship may have put that bracket on backwards... but I tried switchin it around and they only go on one way... so they must be right...

J

6. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

maybe you've got the brackets switched from side to side?

7. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Yep, your caliper brackets are on the wrong side and backward. The offset has to be to the inside. Just switch sides with them and you will be set.

Mike

8. jekbrown

that could be the problem! thanks!

J

9. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

mike's right it's either upside down or fliped...probably need to switch them, just make sure that the side that has the threaded hole is to the bottom.

10. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I have a simple answer to your question. You have the caliper brackets on backwards. They should be offset towards the differential, not towards the locking hub. Also, the hole for the caliper slide should be on the bottom. Take the spindle back off (making sure that the roller bearing inside of it and the seal inside it are greased and in place and that the seal on the stubshaft has been greased), turn the caliper mounting brackets around so that the hole is on the bottom, bolt it all back up, and then put the rotors on.

11. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Yep, I just finished tearing mine down last week and you got yours on upside down and possibly on the wrong side.

Depdog

12. jekbrown

cool deal guys, thanks. btw, I packed the be-jebers out of the roller bearings... is there anything else between the spindle and the hub that needs grease? think I got pretty much everything else figured out...

J

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

did you remeber to lay heavy on the spindle mount surface with anti-sieze compound?
    BTW I did the caliper dance as well, I just dont post that stuff
    you n Krazie are much more honest

14. jekbrown

spindles were put on by pros, so they oughta be good... just wanted to make sure everything was getting the grease it needs. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

J