Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gays and libertarians oppose gun control???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cbbr, Mar 7, 2005.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Gay Libertarians oppose San Francisco gun ban

[font=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica][size=-1]

Several Libertarian groups in the San Francisco Bay area have joined with members of gay gun rights group the Pink Pistols, Gun Owners of California and other advocacy groups in condemning a proposed ban on firearms within the San Francisco city and county limits.

"San Francisco has already made it inordinately difficult to defend one's self while on the street, at the ATM or while using public transit, by their overly strict policy in granting concealed handgun permits,” said Michael Acree, chair of the San Francisco chapter of the Outright Libertarians -- a group that promotes the Libertarian Party to the gay community.

“Now they plan on making it equally difficult for us to defend ourselves and our loved ones in the places we live, by confiscating our handguns from our very homes and apartments," Acree said. "I do not want to be turned into a sitting duck by the board of supervisors."

The proposed law would go into effect on Jan. 1, 2006 -- and city residents would have to surrender their handguns within 90 days of that time, to avoid penalties. The proposed law would also prohibit the local sale of other firearms and ammunition.

"While the right of self-defense is the most important principle here, there is also the matter of taking property by threat of force, without just compensation," said Richard Newell, vice-chair of the San Francisco chapter of the Outright Libertarians.

"In my book that is called robbery," Newell said. "We support the Gun Owners of California and the California Rifle and Pistol Association in their legal efforts to block this proposal from ever making it to the ballot."

http://www.lp.org/lpnews/0503/outright.html

[/size][/font]

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Makes for strange allies, doesn't it?

Oh, the irony!

Hopefully the tide is turning.....

edit: Was really tempted to say "strange bedfellows"......

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

the Pink Pistols :crazy: :surepal:

I am glad to hear that people are standing up against the gun nazis

4. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Did y'all feel that sudden draft? I think it mighta been Hell freezing over.

Didn't see that one coming :dunno:

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Pink pistols is a pretty cool organization

I'd start a chapter, but I'd be the only member, and I don't need that flack

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

the rabid left wing politicians are ALL about control. This is why they...

1) ...love gun control in spite of the evidence that tells us gun control leads to more violent crime.

2) ...support higher taxes, even though Reagan proved that lower taxes brings in more money for the government.

3) ...prefer social security as opposed to private accounts. The later would get the elderly at least 5 times more money... but the politicians wouldn't be able to raid the accounts, so they don't like it.

4) ...hate the idea of a private insurance company being "between the patient and their doctor" but love the idea of a massive unresponsive expensive government bureaucuracy and an army of trial lawyers being between the patient and their doctor.

5) ...hate private automobile ownership and seek the eventual ban (via excessive taxes, fees and regulation) of private means of transport so that we can all ride transportation they provide for us (and control) such as light rail, buses, trains, subways etc.

6) hate the idea of any government program being voluntary. You can't opt out of Social Security, Medicare etc etc. If you could, they couldn't control your life, and we can't have that!

j

7. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Back in the early nineties I was good friends with a Gun Owners of California recruiter. ( Hence, I'm a member). I remember how he said (during the chaotic and fretful Clinton gun & ammo banning period) that we would have very strange allies when It came down to protecting the 2nd Amendment.

(Notice I avoided the term "strange bedfellows":crazy: )

We were at a restaraunt in Ventura, a whole group of us from the gun show that day. He said we would be shoulder to shoulder with the queers if they were for defending the 2nd amendment. And he was right.

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Unite for something positive, not devide against something negative

Of course it's open to opinion, but generally, if you're against it, you're not helping out

9. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Well said.:waytogo:

10. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

“Now they plan on making it equally difficult for us to defend ourselves and our loved ones in the places we live, by confiscating our handguns from our very homes and apartments," Acree said. "I do not want to be turned into a sitting duck by the board of supervisors."

This quote reminded me of a column I read in my latest NRA magazine. It was a reprint of a column in a british newspaper, where the author talked about the end result of the total gun ban over there... Since homeowners are now disarmed, they buy expensive security systems.. to get around this inconvenience, the bad guys go up to the front door, pose as deliverymen, and when the front door opens, they stab the crap out of the guy who opened it, and it's home invasion time. If I can find the column, I'll post it.

Liberals are stupid. their gun policies, their communistic social policies and leftist ideas fail everywhere and everytime they've been tried, and they still keep trying to implement them.

And I've got a lower opinion of the clowns who vote these people into office.

Tom