Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gcwvr? and brake controlers.

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by divorced, Jan 25, 2005.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Jul 20, 2004
    What letters (gcwr? gvwr?) is for the weight of the truck, trailer, and the junk on the trailer? Does this number assume the use of trailer brakes? I will look on my truck to see what the ratings are once I know what to look for.

Is this controller any good? What is meant by "Features: inertia activated for smooth stops."? Are these easy to install?
  2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Aug 28, 2002
    I am a fan of the Prodigy, dad has one in his burb and it works great.
  3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Feb 17, 2000
    GCWR = Gross Combined Weight Rating = Tow Rig + Loaded Trailer + passengers and all gear. My 2500HD rateing is 22,000

I have found 3 top controllers are the favorites:
    BrakeSmart $350
    Jordan $150
    Prodigy $130

The pricing is just a guess from memory just to give you an idea. ALL 3 hook up to the tow rig differently
    BrakeSmart uses Hydrolic pressure by taping into the brake line at the master cylinder.
    Jordan uses a cable that attaches to the brake pedal, as you push the brake in the cable gets pulled out of the controler
    Prodigy works off cyntrifical force, I for get the term used, pedulum or something like that. Basically works off the force of the rig slowing down. Very easy to install, even easier for me cuz I have a plug under the dash for a brake controler:D
    Good Luck