Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GD snap rings! aaaarrrrhhhggggg

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Aug 13, 2002.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i just spent over an hour trying to get a f'in snap ring back on. Its a big sucker, about 1.5" across... goes on the tcase's front output shaft.. its the type that is just "C" shaped... it doesnt have the lil loops for the snap ring pliers. At any rate, does anyone have a trick for snap rings? I have snap ring pliers, but they arent big enough... dont open wide enough.. its really close... just doesnt quuuuite make it. any tips/tricks/advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

J

2. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

I feel your pain. Try to set one end almost on the take a screwdriver (flat head) to pry the other side on. MAKE SURE YOU KEEP YOUR HAND ON TOP SOMETIMES IT LIKES TO FLY OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then just try again. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. jekbrown

yeppers, thats the problem with being to cute with a screwdriver. bad times. a BIG pair of snap ring pliers would prolly do it. Gawd damn it, I *hate* working on trucks when you dont have the RIGHT tools!!!!!! aaaaaaarrrrrrrhhhhhhgggggggg /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

J

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Are you saying that you'd be able to use the pliers if they opened wider... If so try adding some material to the pliers, a rough example would be to tape some metal on them ....Know what I mean.... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Good idea. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. jekbrown

hmmmmm...

<heads back out to the garage...>

J

7. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Thank you thank you, it comes from years of not having the right tool, it's called turning sh!t into icecream....LOL /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I'v done sh!t like use a big socket and a hammer to force them on. Also a pipe wrench. Just big enough to fit over whatever shaft to force and the ring on. Good Luck. Oh by the way I got your tire here and waiting for you. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. jekbrown

finally figured it out... used a big azz metal c-clamp... used the snap ring pliers to get the back side of the snap ring part way on the shaft... then cranked down the clamp until the ring was almost seated. This made the ends of the snap ring look tweaked... but a BFS (..screwdriver!) helped me pry them around the shaft and lock in place. now I just hope I got the bearings back in there right... cause I sure as hell never wanna take it off again! LOL!

J

10. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Jason,

I have a big set of external snap ring pliars that I got from Sears that work great for that big snap ring. Hope this helps.

Mike

11. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Check my sig pics on the 205 rebuild. It will show the snapring pliers I used for those C-clips. They made opening/spreading those things a breeze (compared to the cuts, gouges, scrapes, I received when I tried using vice-grips, screwdrives, regular snap-ring plyers, etc on my first rebuild /forums/images/icons/blush.gif ). Having the right tool(s) sure makes a difference. I would have answered you post on the 205 "funny" shaped washer too, but I was on vacation FWIW it is in the correct position.

12. jekbrown

awesome leadfoot, thanks for the confirmation on the washer. As far as having the right tools... yep, makes all the diff in the world. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif thanks again!

J

13. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I've been using some junky chinese snap ring pliars with interchangable ends to try and put the snap ring back in my steering box... its driving me to the edge of insanity :crazy:

14. josh86k10

josh86k10 1/2 ton status

For large snap rings with no holes for snap ring pliers, wouldn't ring spreaders for putting rings on pistons work? The ones that go on the outside of something at least. Just a thought, I usually do stuff the hard way and gouge my fingers, but this thread got me thinking.

15. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

would be simple to make a quit set of pliers for this and other stuff but you would need a little welder

but could just make a real quick battery welder though

hmm

still crappy

16. jekbrown

holy back-from-the-dead-threads batman! I posted this originally in 2002. lol! Good to see people are using the search feature... :thumb:

j

17. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

For anyone who's messing with these snaprings often...

Snap-On SRP4 snapring pliers

I used these extensively when I worked at the trans shop, and they're the bast way of dealing with the plain-C snaprings. Heavy truck transmissions are filled with those F'n things...

18. jekbrown

cool beans. Someday when I'm rich I'll get some. $50 for one set of pliers is serious cash! :)

j

19. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that's why I specified "often". I even looked on eBay for a while before I bought mine, no luck.