Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GDF-ing Hubs Won't Engage

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Me89'Jimmy, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Me89'Jimmy

Me89'Jimmy 1/2 ton status

GDF-ing Hubs Won\'t Engage

An International truck got stuck in one of my bosses fields today, i get hooked up to pull him out, throw it in 4 wheel drive, start moving and then my boss tells me the front tires arent moving. This is 2 days after id torn the hubs completly apart and put it back together, the front driveshaft spins and i know its getting the pinion because i tried it when i had it all apart and everything worked fine, I did a little search and came across this[ QUOTE ]
    the warn locking hubs need only a light smear of grease.
    if you pack them full you will get NO power to front wheels as it will hydraulic lock

[/ QUOTE ]
    I choked those hubs with grease and im wondering if this is the cause. can anyone explain to me what hydro lock is and why it happens, Ive got Warn Premium Manual Internal Mount Hubs, If anyone has has a diagram of this type of hub in an exploded view i would very much appreciate it if you could send it my way. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Re: GDF-ing Hubs Won\'t Engage

Hydro lock - There is so much grease that it is not letting the hub engage... Turning the knob pushes the spring and pushes on the hub. With all the grease in their, it can't over come it and will not lock in. Take it apart and play with the hub and see how it operates...

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

Re: GDF-ing Hubs Won\'t Engage

pull the warn hubs out and clean almost all of the grease out of them.
    then stuff them back in.
    the grease is trapped in the hub preventing the sliding gear from engaging