Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gear adjustment question, help needed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by morphed86k10, Jun 26, 2001.

1. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I've read this board for about 8 months and just now got a username. I want to say it has been a great source of information!

And now to my question. I just swapped out the 10 bolt on my 86 for a 14 bolt full floater. The pinion seal on the FF was shot, so we (a friend and I) replaced it. I'm pretty green on axle assemblies, I'm not sure if we goofed up the pinion assembly. The reason I ask is because the new rear end (from a 77 k20) has a lot of gear whine when I'm on the gas compared to my old stock 10 bolt, even though they both have 3.73 gears. It only occurs under power (however light) and not when coasting or slowing down. From what I've read it sounds as if the gears are "loose" but I'm no expert. Is this noise abnormal (I think so) or just a side effect of the larger ring and pinion (doubtful) ? How do I fix this?

On a side note, I was surprised to find that my stock 10 bolt had a 1350 input yoke, I didn't even have to change the u joint on my driveshaft when putting in the big 14bolt! And I thought I was the stuff getting that conversion u-joint beforehand...:)

Thanks for the help!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by morphed86k10 on 06/26/01 10:50 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Re: Great board, and a 14 FF gear question

1st, WELCOME[​IMG] it's about time you stopped hiding in the back ground.
    2nd, sorry I can't help you but someone will I'm sure. Hang in there and if your post gets blown off the page, just reply asking again to bring it back up to the top. good luck. thatK30guy could give you the awnser.

[​IMG]<font color=red>[/b]"Rid'in HigH in my K5"[​IMG]
    ....[​IMG]<font color=blue>[/b]"6" Lift -<font color=purple>38.5's"[​IMG]....

3. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

I second that motion....welcome!

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM![​IMG]

4. Brians 60s

Brians 60s 1/2 ton status

welcome fellow k5r. I have had the same thing happen in 2 14 bolts that I have ran in the past. Both had well over 300 k of less than friendly miles and were just plain wore out. I used one for parts and the other, replaced the ring and pinion and it went away. But first, check to make sure you have enough 80/90 in there. If you don't the noise you are describing could be your ring and pinion crying for lubrication
    before they take a crap. Also did you tighten the yoke properly when you put it back together? Check those two things first. Also, do you have a posi in there? POS gov locks
    make that same noise you descrbe when they are on there way out. Hope this helps, Brian

"IF YOU'VE NEVER BEEN STUCK.....YOU'VE NEVER BEEN WHEELIN"!!!

5. morphed86k10

I'm pretty sure there is enough 90 in there, I filled it fresh after installing the pinion assembly, and it is an open diff for sure. Tightening the yoke properly....that might be it, how can you tell when its done right? My friend actually did this part, as he's done it for his truck int he past, but there isn't any vibration or anything else associated with the whine. Is there a torque spec or what? Thanks for the response.

6. morphed86k10

In a manual I've since read, it talks about scoreing the pinion nut and tightening it back to the mark, but unfortunatly I didn't do this (when changing the pinion seal), and I suspect I didn't tighten the nut enough, causing the pinion to be looser than is desired. could this be the problem?

7. morphed86k10

anyone?

8. jamiemac

jamiemac 1/2 ton status

Can you give me the part # on that conversion or(bastard) U-Joint???????????? If so it would be muchly appreciated.

9. morphed86k10

the joint I picked up (and didn't need) was from Napa, part number 348 I believe. has the large width and caps on one direction and the smaller the other way for your driveshaft. My driveshaft and yoke on my old axle was 1350, so I didn't need this part at all.

10. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It could be looser OR tighter than it's supposed to be (both can cause problems). As you tighten the nut there is a sleeve that crushes down to set pinion bearing preload. If the nut was tighten too much it is no good and needs to be replaced ($5-$10), but you have to pull the carrier back out and need access to a in/lb torque wrench (NOT a ft/lb torque wrench) to set the preload. Fortunately dropping the carrier in the 14 bolt FF is as easy as you're going to get. Just make sure you know how much you turn each adjuster. It wouldn't be a bad idea to recheck your backlash first (before dropping the carrier), just to elimate that as a possibility of noise. PM me if you have more questions.

If you didn't built it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?