Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear Box

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73K5Kid, Nov 10, 2004.

1. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

My steering has alot of slop in it. When I am driving my steeing wheel is not center. I have to turn my steering wheel half way in order for me to drive straight. And when I turn it really sucks. I am trying to determine if this is my gear box or something else. How do you tell if you need a new gear box or what ever else it could be? The guy I bought it off said he replaced the p/s pump. Would this effect my steering? I have a 6' lift on it and I know this can cause steering problems. Thanks in advance.

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Check you ball joints/King Pins, TRE's and DLE's. I would bet that one or more of them is shot. I doubt it is the gear box causing your wheel to be crooked.

3. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

To center you steering wheel you need to adjust your draglink. A 20 min job if you take your time and have to run back and forth for tools. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Its that short rod that goes from the gearbox to the wheel. You will see a sleeve in the middle of it with a clamp on each end. Loosen the clamps and turn the sleeve. Your ignition switch needs to be turned on so the wheel can turn, but you dont need the engine running. [Try to get your wheels straight before you start] Now just turn that sleeve to get your wheel where you want it, tighten the clamps back up and take it for a test drive. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    Bob

4. 73K5Kid

73K5Kid 1/2 ton status

Thanks Again /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif