Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear Break-in

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

What's the proper procedure for breaking in gears after setup? Does this pertain to even a used gear set?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No, it doesn't pertain to a used gearset. The reason you do it is because the heating and cooling of the gears is what makes them stronger. Once this is done (the first time you set the gears up) it should not have to be done again.

www.ring-pinion.com has a lot of info on gear breakin. I'd say they're the experts.

3. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

i belive your supposed to drive for an hour, stop for an hour(or more) drive for an hour, stop for an hour, for the first 500 miles. and dont go above 55. however, when you buy a new truck from the dealership they just say dont drive over 55 for the first 500 miles.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

No break in necessary for used gears.

5. weisel

weisel 1/2 ton status

I broke in my gear set for my twelve bolt. I read on the gear companies site that your suppose to drive 15 min, no faster than 55mph, then let it cool. I let mine cool till I could hold my hand on the pumpkin. It usually took 20-40 min to cool off. Repeat until 500 miles is put on the gear set. Then change the gear oil and your done.

It took forever on my first drive with the new gears. a 2 hour drive turned into 6. It was the most borring 4 hours I have ever spent sitting. But I'm glad I did it because my gears are perfectly smooth and polished.

6. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I read on the gear companies site that your suppose to drive 15 min, no faster than 55mph, then let it cool. I let mine cool till I could hold my hand on the pumpkin. It usually took 20-40 min to cool off. Repeat until 500 miles is put on the gear set. Then change the gear oil and your done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds about right to me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I'm breakin in my gears right now... I drive between 5 and 10 miles to and from school each day, perfect to let them heat up then cool off while i'm in class for a few hours and then drive home again...

How can you break in the front? can you engage it in 4WD HIGH and not lock the hubs to break in the drive pattern, then put it back in 2WD and lock the hubs to break in the coast pattern? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I emailed Randys ring and pinion about breaking in the front gears a while back and posted the reply. Basically they said that it isnt required. The load on the front gears is not as critical on front axles since they dont see the same amount of use/load as the rear axle.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I emailed Randys ring and pinion about breaking in the front gears a while back and posted the reply. Basically they said that it isnt required. The load on the front gears is not as critical on front axles since they dont see the same amount of use/load as the rear axle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would still brake them in.

The way I would do it is get to a highway, lock the hubs, and then when you are on the highway put it in 4x4, before you turn put it back in 2wd.
    there is no binding when you are going straight, just don't make any tight turns and you should be fine.
    That is how I drive when I have my hubs locked and I need the traction, like in the winter.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I read on the gear companies site that your suppose to drive 15 min, no faster than 55mph, then let it cool. I let mine cool till I could hold my hand on the pumpkin. It usually took 20-40 min to cool off. Repeat until 500 miles is put on the gear set. Then change the gear oil and your done.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds about right to me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I'm breakin in my gears right now... I drive between 5 and 10 miles to and from school each day, perfect to let them heat up then cool off while i'm in class for a few hours and then drive home again...

How can you break in the front? can you engage it in 4WD HIGH and not lock the hubs to break in the drive pattern, then put it back in 2WD and lock the hubs to break in the coast pattern? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well without a load on them, you will /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gifnot get much polishing but you would be better than not breaking them in I guess.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    there is no binding when you are going straight, just don't make any tight turns and you should be fine.
    That is how I drive when I have my hubs locked and I need the traction, like in the winter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. Minor differences in gear ratio, or tire size, or simply the distance traveled, can create binding in part time 4wd vehicles when driving in a straight line. Turning makes it worse, but you can bind your stuff up good just driving straight.