Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear change(14b), what kind of special tools needed and $$?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Aug 9, 2003.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

I think I will do myself after reading other's stories but want to make sure I have the right tools to make it happen. I figure I can spend about $300-400 on tools so what should they be?

2. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

To start, if you really want to them yourself, check out Randy's ring and pinion. I am pretty sure that they sell tool kits for setting up you gears. Secondly, if you are looking to spend that much money, why aren't you just going to have someone do them for you? I checked locally when I was going to gears my 10 and 12 and the going price was between $200&$300 for one axle. I am just doing an axle swap to get the gears I want. If it was me I would just pay someone to do them for me and save the headache of trying to do them. If I am correct the 14B carrier shims sit inboard of the bearings, so everytime you have to change the shims to get the right pattern you have to press the bearing off the carrier and back on. On that note I know they sell "set up" bearings that are slightly oversized so you don't have to press tham on and off, they just slide on and off till you get the right shim then you press your real bearings on.

Krennen /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

well i checked around here(napa, ca) and could only find one
    place that would do it for $450. I know that is too much so I figure if i could do it in one weekend, score some new toys(tools) and actually get it right, it would be a good thing. I could have it towed some where for $ and a cheaper shop, but the tow would kill the deal. Is it really a headache?

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just did mine. the only special tool I bought was a dial indicator and magnetic base. Do you have access to a press? Other than that an inch pound torque wrench which I borrowed (they are spendy). I got my dial indicator at Harbor Freight for like thirty bucks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

were the bearings hard to pull? there is a harbor freight store not too far from here. I wonder if there open on Sundays....

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Actually, if you want to learn to set gears, the 14 bolt is the best one to do first. There are no shims on the carrier since it's adjusted using the spanner nuts that thread into the axle, and since the pinion carrier is removable the shims on that are cake to change. Tools you NEED are torque wrenches, including one that will go to at least 150 lb-ft, an in-lb bar style wrench, a dial depth indicator with a magnetic mount and basic hand tools. A micrometer is good to have to so you can check shim thickness. These are the only tools that I used when I did the gears in my 14 bolt. If you want to get fancy then a pinion depth tool is nice.</font>

7. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

hell, might as well do it then. I have a digital camera for those questions i may have to post! Harbor freight is open on sunday's so i will probably but a small press to pull and press on the bearings with ease. I picked up a in-lb wrench this evening at Orchards. I bought the master install kit(timken stuff).

What size socket is used to remove the pinion nut?

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I don't remember exactly what size, but it's a big mutha. 1 3/8 IIRC. </font>

9. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

1.5" is the pinion nut. I just got a Stanley 1 -1.5 set at Wal Mart for like $12.