Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear Change - DIY

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79Guy, Oct 28, 2000.

1. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

I saw a couple of notes in the "Gear Change - How much should it cost" thread about doing it yourself. I did see the post about richmonds video.

I'd like to hear from some people who have done it, successful or not. I really enjoy challenging projects, and buying new tools! What is the most difficult part. Assume that would also be the time to put in a locker.

'79 Guy
    1 Blazer - 7 Children
    http://79guy.coloradok5.com

2. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

By far the hardest part is the smear pattern. You will NEED an impact to pull the unit apart as you check and recheck the pattern. This is not something that you should take on lightly. It is difficult, and time consuming. There is just no room for saying "That`s good enough."! I have set up over 40 gear patterns in diffs, and it still takes me close to 3hrs. to get the gears PERFECT. Of course that includes brakes to let you`r nerves stay cool. So take you`r time. Buy good marking grease, and keep the kids far away from were you`r working. With 7 of them they are sure to keep you distracted.

3. FWP

FWP CRS

I had the most difficulty in getting the original pinion bearing off the 12 bolt. Man that sucker was on there. Destroyed 2 bearing splitters tryin to press it off[​IMG] Wound up cutting off the inner race with a dremel. Also broke a ring gear bolt off in the carrier- Misread the torque spec[​IMG]- dohhh. Had to get new bolts.

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>