Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear change question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Muddytazz, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I've decided for now that I am just going to change the gears in the D44/12B from the stock 3.07's to 4.10's...Now, for the 2 questions, (1)since they are stock(gears, seals, axles, etc.)should I do a complete rebuild (master kit), or can I get away with just changing the ring and pinion. (2)How hard would this be to do themselves, or should I have someone else do this? I am mechanically inclined, just that I've never dealt with differentials before.

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

master kit all the way /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

do it good and do it right go with the master kit /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. steve85fla

steve85fla Registered Member

I did it with someone who knew how...glad I had some help, it's not for the inexperienced. The backlash "play", and the contact of the pinion and ring gear have to be set by shimming the carrier left to right, and the pinion depth is shimmed also. You can have the right backlash (.006/.008) but the contact of the gears might not be correct. This will shorten your diff life, or cause outright failure. Good luck!

5. steve85fla

steve85fla Registered Member

Oh yeah, you should do the master kit as long as you are in there, new bearings and all. You also get the dye to inspect the contact footprint.

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

If you plan to do it yourself, get you a master kit from somewhere like Randy's Ring and Pinion. Their kit will come with EVERYTHING you need including pattern "paint". If you get the gears from them, they will also supply you with complete, detailed install instructions. They can also be had from their website.

Gear installation is not as hard as some make it out to be. But, it does require specialized tools and a lot of patience and precision. Being off as much as 1,000th of an inch can be disaster. I did mine and had never been inside a diff before. Cost me about $250 for all the tools, but I am glad I did it. Get some pricing in your area for gear changes and then make your decision. There are also a couple of good videos that are worth the money. Talk to Randy's, they can set you up with everything you would need and they are great for giving advice!