Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear change up front ?????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Sep 14, 2002.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Okay, I need some tips and what to look for. Got gears for the front end and should be ready in about a month to do the swap.

I've got the shop lined up so I'll have a lift and tools to do this. I've thought maybe even getting new hubs.

What are some of the trials and tribulations I should expect? I'll have a supervisor (20 yrs on GMs) but he'll just be supervising (drinking my beer) and I'll be doing all the work. Are there any parts I should go ahead and stock up on now?

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

Shims and beer. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

shims! shims! and shims!! depending on what style shims you are using for the carrier. I get an adjustable shim pack from D.T.S.(drive train specialties) 1-800-521-0628. they work great. you can set back lash, then the neccesary shims to preload bearings. oh... and more beer!

4. FWP

FWP CRS

Couple of things work good for the ones I've done (D60,D44, 10B). Use some set up bearings- grind the inside of some good used pinion bearings to slip fit the pinion shaft, instead of press fit. It makes it go a little faster, and you don't risk ruining your new bearings on the press.

I also like the trick of using the sun and freezer. For example, if the ring gear doesn't slip right on the carrier, put the gear in the sun, and the carrier in the freezer. Of course your wife/gf might not like the smell of gear oil in the freezer, but it doesn't smell for very long /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif You can use that trick for bearings also...HTH