Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gear drive- how loud is it.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zach78k5, Mar 12, 2002.

1. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

how loud is the gear drive. unbearable for daily use. it sounds worthwhile if not too noisy. any other opinions on it would be welcomed. thanks

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

They come in loud and quiet the quiet ones have the teeth filed back so they have a slight bevel...

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i'm looking at the exact same thing right now i would also like to know how much machining is required? 4" grinder style machining? or actual machine shop style machining?

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

more like a file instead of a grinder, you can just buy them for the same price I think...

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Somebody on the Monte Carlo list just installed a Pete Jackson "quiet" gear drive in their car, and loves it. They did it solely for the sound though, which isn't annoying apparently..I can dig up the e-mail if you are interested...why are you interested in one is kind of important though, I can't imagine they are really necessary in most any application except when you want it to sound cool.

I guess the best part of them is that they will outlast the motor, so you can really get lots of use out of them.

6. wrath

wrath 1/2 ton status

I had a "noisy" Pete Jackson in a 350 and you get a lot of looks and compliments,but it will get annoying when your trying to diagnose a lifter tick for example..I'd really like to hear a "quiet" one tho,I will be putting one or the other in my current 350 rebuild..I do have a Pete Jackson "noisy" out of a 396BB..barely used if anyones interested

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Zach, I am assuming by your screen name that you have a 78 blazer that you want to install the gear drive in. If this is true then you can do it without any troubles, If you have a newer blazer that uses a knock sensor then you better check before you install it as the knock sensor will pick up the noise as a knock and retard the timing on you thinking that the engine is knocking. Be aware that after you have listened to this for a while you will become tired of hearing it and may end up wanting to remove it.

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

. Be aware that after you have listened to this for a while you will become tired of hearing it and may end up wanting to remove it.

<hr></blockquote>

YES! BEWARE! I SPEAK FROM EXPERIENCE.

I put an edelbrock sbc gear drive in the previous 355 engine in my blazer. Installing it was pretty easy. It even comes with offset bushings so you can advance/ retard cam timing.
    Let me tell you... Just upon starting up the engine and sitting there trying to set the timing with the timing light i was almost getting a headache.
    I thought gear drives sound SWWEEEET on cars and trucks that drive by. Its one thing when they drive by. It's quite another when it's in your daily driver like mine.
    Other than being anoyying a little it got lots of attention.
    I drove to school after installing it, and some of my friends were like "COOL! did you put gear drives in your blazer?" and others were like "hey dude what the hell is wrong with your truck?" "your trucks making this noise! you might want to have that checked out"
    When i'd drive though the cruise spots though, guys would always cheer and thumbs up and yell "gear drives!"

And so i blew a rod bearing in that engine about 4 weeks later completley destroying everything internally in the engine except for the gear drives and the heads./forums/images/icons/shocked.gif/forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Don't know how long i could have put up with all that racket though./forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I have a milodon single idler gear drive in my big block camaro, and its very subtle. almost can't hear it over the exhaust. Best way to describe the single idler gear drives is like you can only hear them at certain rpms and they're pretty quiet. I LIKE IT!

The pete jackson noisy are just a downright headache. You might as well bolt on a 6-71 blower if you want to make that kind of noise./forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
    The edelbrock gear drives seem to be in the middle between the "loudness" of the PJ noisey &amp; quiets.
    I've heard you can also put a thick aluminum timing cover on to quiet it down just a little.
    If i build another engine i might contemplate getting a Pete Jackson Quiet gear drive... but I'd go stand right next to an engine that has em before you decide to go for it.

my 2 cents /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I have had one in my 73 for about 4 years now. 463 too if that matters.
    I do not even notice it when I am going down the road.
    Ideling and I don't even realy notice unless someone points it out.
    Edelbrock drive too.
    And I have a quiet exhast system on it.
    The only thing that bothers me is when some helpful moron tells me that it sounds like my power steering is low.
    I plan on putting one in my next build up.
    Hmmm no chain strech ever, timing always on .
    I guess that could be a bad thing.
    I happen to think Slayer sounds cool so maybe it is just me.

10. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

hmmmm.
    very interesting.
    you say its an edelbrock gear drive and pretty quiet... barely noticable? Mine was very noticable it was there!
    VVVVVVVVRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Keep in mind too if you go FI the knock sensor tends to give false retardations due to the gear drive.................just a thought 'in case'.

12. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

I have had the pete jackson "noisey" for about a year now. Dont even know its there anymore. Tires and exhaust cover that noise very well. Easy to install

13. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine has it on his Blazer. REAL noisy. He has had it for about 5 years now. He only mud bogs the truck luckily. Otherwise it get real annoying when you are anywhere near it and it is runnung. Especailly if you have a video camera and he is behind you idleing... eeeeeeee eeeeeee eeeee e eee eeee Is all you hear.

Maybe the quiet ones are differant.

Ken H.

14. 79k20

79k20 1/2 ton status

<font color=orange>I have a quiet gear drive and i love it. The only thing that bothers me is when somebody tells me there is something wrong with my truck.</font color=orange>

15. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

does my 1989 suburban's tbi 350 have a knock sensor?

16. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

If you are easily annoyed then dont buy one but if you like hot rods and the noises associated with them then buy one they are great........takes a while to get use to, though, and you will more than anything get tired of the IDIOTS saying, "somethings wrong with your truck". ecspecially when they say ,"for a new motor that sounds bad". Most of the time it's better to just walk away and leave them in shock of the smoke show behind you! I personally love mine and putting another in my new motor! GOOD LUCK

17. Two of my friends have them in their turcks, and they are pretty loud and annoying. If I got one I would definitly get a silent one, because the racket is worth the couple people that go "cool" /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

18. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

You can definately hear it but is is far from annoying.
    ideling is the only time you can realy hear it.
    Give it some throttle and the fan and intake drown it out.
    Ya the intake is louder than the exhaust, as one guy put it, it sounds like the engine is trying to suck in the world.
    I also drilled a .030" hole in each oil galley plug to give more lube to the gears.