Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear drive small block chevy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by slider, Jan 7, 2004.

1. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Who has installed one? I did a search and only found one answer. I put one in my 383 stroker and it is about to come out. That thig is susposed to be the quiet version and it sounds like hell. Man that thing is noisy. Kinda sounds like a power steering pump thats about to blow up. Will it get quieter when the gears lap in? I will give it a day or two but this thing is loud. I was very careful when I put it in so I know its in right, Its real easy to install. I even degreed the cam. It sure runs good but damm. I won't have to worry about kids dogs or deer in the road I am sure they will run like hell when they here this thing. Any one else put one in and regret it?

2. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

I had it in 2 different 350's and one 396 and had the Pete Jackson noisy in all of them and didn't mind it as my exhaust drowned it out. You do get used to the sound but also the brand makes a huge difference on how loud it is, have heard the cheap quiet ones be noisier then the Pete Jackson "quiet" gear drive.

3. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Just tell people you got a blower /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I can't stand them. If you don't like the sound, you'll be removing it. They're not designed to be quiet. The noisier ones are simply cut in such a way to make them even louder. Either way, you should have never installed it if you didn't expect noise, but I'm sure nobody warned you of this before you put it in.

I personally just run a good chain in everything.

5. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

if u take it out and r lookin to get rid of it...drop me a line.

NITRO

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I know someone that just had one grenade on him and it took the whole motor with it /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Pm POWERMAD, he is the one.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I know someone that just had one grenade on him and it took the whole motor with it /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Pm POWERMAD, he is the one.

[/ QUOTE ] Timing chains can do the same thing. Had a chain break at high RPM and lost the motor, (well every piston and valve that is.)

8. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thats why it's all about buying high quality double roller chain setups. Not the 19.95 systems from the parts houses. A good Cloyes or similar system will easily outlast the rest of the engine.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I didn't build it, was in a car I bought. Must have romped on it to hard, no biggie, just a 305 anyways.

10. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Gear drive is bad for valve train. Do some research and I'll bet you'll find out the same thing.

11. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Cheap as possible from the factory, nylon gear and crap chain. seen more than a few of those fail.
    They should come with a sticker... replace as soon as possible.
    As soon as it gets a lil warmer out I will be tearin down the plant in the 73 and post up what the damage is.

12. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

How so? The space between the gears create to many bad harmonics? Does it wear faster? Curious minds want to know....

I never thought about using one as a deer deterent. That seems to be a great idea, there are lots of those critters around here, I have hit/missed several....

I bet that would work good in parking lots too. Might come in handy in court someday. Let the judge listen to it, and ask who in their right mind would walk out in front of that.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif (Do not take that the wrong way) /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

13. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    How so? The space between the gears create to many bad harmonics? Does it wear faster? Curious minds want to know....

I never thought about using one as a deer deterent. That seems to be a great idea, there are lots of those critters around here, I have hit/missed several....

I bet that would work good in parking lots too. Might come in handy in court someday. Let the judge listen to it, and ask who in their right mind would walk out in front of that.... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif (Do not take that the wrong way) /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

They transmit harmonics from the crankshaft into the cam and valvetrain. Also the harmonics from the gear drive themselves. So you hit the nail right on the head.

14. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I've had a Pete Jackson noisy gear drive in my 388 since I built it in '99. There are many who say that it transfers too much torsional vibration to the camshaft, but realisticly, this has never been proven. I have had nothing but good luck with mine, it will never stretch, lose nylon teeth etc etc. I am still using the same block, crank, cam, bearings, pistons, rods etc......no catastrophic failure from the "extra" vibration yet! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

All of the gear drives that I've had experince with, through buddies and my own, have become less noisy the more you drive the vehicle. Mine is faintly audible with my 3" exhaust and 40 series Flowmasters. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

If you call that faintly audible, then what is your idea of LOUD???? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I have heard his rig BTW.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

So as the gears lap in they will quiet down. Good I just drove it around the block and I think it is getting quieter. I wonder if the gears should have a break in period like a differential?

17. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Dude thats funny /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you call that faintly audible, then what is your idea of LOUD???? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I have heard his rig BTW.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea...but you haven't heard it at WOT!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Don't get me wrong, I like his 'Burb. When my motor is done, we will have to swap for 8 mins.... /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

20. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Isn't that where it spends most of it's time at????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif