Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear Drive

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LA Bogger, Feb 19, 2001.

1. LA Bogger

LA Bogger 1/2 ton status

Has anybody use a Pete Jackson gear drive on their BB or SB... I was wondering about reliability???? Not to mention the cool supercharger whine!!!!!!

Eat More Mud!!!!

2. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Supposed to be one of the more accurate timing methods around. The fake blower type whine might be great for a while but I think it would drive me nuts before long.

Smitty

3. Andreas

Andreas 1/2 ton status

The good part is the accurate timing...and the whine[​IMG]. There are two models I believe. One "ordinary" and one noisy. The noisy one is too d*mn loud[​IMG]. Reliability shouldn´t be a problem, they probably go on and on forever. Anyway, the bad part is it transfers crank harmonics to the camshaft. I would not use one without a very well balanced engine.

/Andreas

406cui of pure sh*t[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://hem.passagen.se/znus/>http://hem.passagen.se/znus/</A>

4. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

A double roller is just as good and cheaper. Gear drives are really ment for hi rpm. But if you really like the noise go for it. Most gear drives that I have seen will require grinding away of material from behind the timing cove to fit. Some more than others.

5. jerseymudder

jerseymudder Registered Member

I'VE NEVER USED THEM. MY BUDDYDRAG RACES A SB. HE TOLD ME OF A COUPLE PEOPLE WHO HAD PROBLEMS. MOSTLY THE BALANCE, THEY SAY IT WEARS ON THE VALVERTAIN.

GOOD LUCK EITHER WAY.

6. dumbfounded

dumbfounded 1/2 ton status

Here's the scoop. I've got a quiet gear drive on my vette and some things I'd have done different.

1. Don't use on efi (will interfere with spark sensor) so obviosly I shouldn't have used.
    2. use thread lock and gasket sealer. ( I didn't and I leak about a qt a week)

The sound isn't loud at all, but even the quiet might be annoying on an older blazer which doesn't have the sound proofing like newer cars, but if you've got a loud exhaust you probably wouldn't hear it. And definately don't get the noisy TOO LOUD!

Love, Peace, and Hair Grease...........

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A buddy of mine I used to work with has a '70 Ford F-250 4x4 with a 390 in it. Its a show truck and he wanted a gear drive just for the whine. The guys at the speed shop talked him out of the noisy one and he went with the normal one. You could barely hear the thing at all. He was mighty pissed and finally broke down and bought the noisy one and did all the work over again. At least it sounds cool now! Being a show truck it doesn't get driven much, so I don't know about reliabilty issues though.

Rene

[​IMG]