Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear drive

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIG*RED, Jul 17, 2005.

1. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

ok make fun of me all you want, but i really like the pseudo blower sound that "noisy" gear drives make..and have been thinking of getting a set for a long time now..and was talking to the ex, and if i really want them, she said she would get them for my birthday.

so even though i really want them, before i tell her to get them for me..

do any of you guys have any expeience with "noisy" gear drives...if so what was your experience?

2. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Had them in my old '66 Chevelle,427 + 4sp. + gear drive = :saweet:

3. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

yes..that-----> :saweet: ....is exactly what i'm thinking :D

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Don't put them in a computer controlled engine. It will wreak havoc on the knock sensor

5. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

thats good to know...learned something new

but it would be going in the blaze..350 H.O, 795 cfm carb..so i should be allright..

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

In that case...Go for it. I like the sound too. Had them in my 65 GTO

7. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

I've got the Pete Jackson loud gear drive in the 454 in my burb. Some people have asked me if I had a blower on the motor. I just tell them that is why I have the cowl induction hood :haha:

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

only problems with it are #1 people assum you have blower and #2 is if there is motor problem it is much harder to hear it over the noise. but yes i have had one in a 400 sbc it was the quiet but still cool. friend has one in his project with open headers and you can hear it over the headers. if daily driver i would get quiet version.

9. Mad-Dog

Mad-Dog 1/2 ton status

Stay away from them unless you wanna spend the money on a high-dollar unit like the Milodon which has a fixed idler gear in the cover.
    Don't believe the crap about "no-machining" required on cheap ($100.00) units.
    I found out the hard way after removing the front cover to change cams and noticing the plates that hold the idler gears were about to come apart :yikes:

They sound cool, they really do and i loved mine until i realized that when it comes to valve timing you can't afford to take shortcuts, i am back to running a true-roller chain and gears now and don't miss the gear-drive for a minute.

It's your motor bro.....do it like you wanna, been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

10. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I like them on muscle cars, hot rods, rarely driven machines... they are annoying as hell to listen to on a daily basis, and even worse when you are on the trail. Everyone that I personally known that has put one on a daily driver has taken it off w/in 6 months.

11. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

I've got a Pete Jackson "loud" set I'll sell you for cheap! :D

12. cwn anwyn

cwn anwyn 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've had the Pete Jackson "noisy" set in my :k5: for a little over 2 years now. I've had no problems with it and actually like the noise.

Z

13. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

A buddy of mine had one in his 71 short bed with a 355 SB and it was cool for a while but he ended up taking it out after it lost it's WOW factor.. When he got the truck we would pull whole shots down his long driveway for the 1st couple of weekends just to hear it whine.. Then he got it tagged and starting driving it everyday and soon lost interest after about 6 months.. Keep in mind we were just a couple of teenage kids and the truck didn't have any tags to drive it on the road for a few weeks.. Ahhh the good ole' days :D

Oh yeah I will tell you this we pulled so many hole shots with that truck that we replaced motor mounts about 6 times and finally ended up chaining the motor down to the frame to keep it from twisting :pimp: