Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear drive

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CBLAZER81, May 1, 2000.

1. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

I've been thinking about getting a gear drive for my 81.350cid.When I checked them out at Summit they said "minor machining may be required".Does anyone know what this machining entails?Is this something a shop has to do or is it as simple as drilling and tapping some holes?
    Thanks any info is appreciated.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but gear drives use a bearing between the front of the block and the came gear. The machining may be required for proper fitment of this bearing. Other considerations are fitment under your stock timing cover, although most are made to fit.
    Call Summit's tech support line, they should be able to answer for sure.

'73K5,SM465,NP205,33"BFG,4"TuffCountry,3.73:1diffs
    350.4bolt+mods,Warn8000#,Factory skidplates

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I don't know about the machining part of it, but why do you want a geardrive? Is your engine really that beefed up? A double roller timing chain should be plenty for almost any engine. I always heard that geardrives were more for drag cars and aren't meant for daily drivers. And they have a really loud whine.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, you can get geardrives that are "quiet" or "loud". Quiet sounds like a small blower, and loud sounds like a Top Fuel blower. I once had a friend that insisted he wanted a loud Pete Jackson geardrive in his IROC-Z. A week after installation, he got a quiet Pete Jackson. A week after that, he got a double roller chain. Said it was just too d@mn loud...

Total expenditure to find this out: $500.

Think about that before you make your decision. Hope it helps...

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

5. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

The bearing you heard about is acually a trust bearing about 1/8" thick.Looks like a washer with small needle bearings in it.This is needed so the large gear on top won't eat into the block.Since the gears kind of float in place not like being attached by a chain.A friend put one on his hotrod and it didn't require any machine work.But i have heard of some that had too.I'm with jar head though why spend the bucks unless you like the winning.Of all the engine build ups in magazines very few use a gear drive.

6. Mike's85K5

Mike's85K5 Registered Member

I put a Pete Jackson gear drive in my '71 Nova and it required no grinding. The minor work their refering to is if you timing cover hits the axles for the idler gears. If it does you simply grind the face of the axles until you can put the timing cover on. They are supposed to touch the cover a little (it is what holds them in place), but if they bind up too hard the gears will heat up and break. By the way I don't daily drive my Nova so I love the attention the gear drive draws, but I would never put one in a vehicle I drove more then three or four times a week!

Mike

7. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Never got to put one as I was tould it will drive a knock senser nut's I always wanted one though.