Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gear gods please what to run?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by greywolf, Aug 8, 2005.

1. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

82 k10 i6(250)465,205 35x12.50x15 1ton rears apart and waiting gears
    i was gonna run 410s BUT this is my dd and the motor is getting old 325000
    and my sbc is there talking **** everyday :p:
    i have 87 yota my truck will tow and yank small stumps

I REALLY LOVE MY I6 and would like to keep it as long a poss and build up 400hp 6 down the road and scare the ricers

please help

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

4:56's would be perfect but you need to ask yourself if your going to go with bigger tires ever? if so go with 4:88's

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd probably run 3.73's. Being a DD in TX I gotta assume a fair amount of time on the freeway. 3.73's with your combo would be 2500 rpm at 70 mph, and 2327 rpm at 65 mph.

4.10's would be 2560 rpm at 65 and 2750 at 70 mph. That's a little high, especially with a motor that doesn't 'love' the higher rpms and especially considering the mileage on it.

rene

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

87 yota, hehee, they are gutless they cant pull any real weight(no traction bite whatsoever) but they can manage to somehow haul dead weight around though,. apparently they are 4.11 from factory
    and they just keep on freakin going.. and going.. and going.. like the energizer bunny,, its crazy.,,. ive wanted to part/scrap mine so many times but i just cant do it yet, it keeps on starting and running every day, and its ridiculously easy to drive, which is gReat in the winter, i cant believe how well it still runs and drives with barely any brakes(rear wheel cylinder is completely blown out on pass side- fluid pours out)... or exhaust(just a cat converter and like three foot of straight pipe).. and no bed(i stuck a piece of chipboard plywood on the frame rails)... and.. no bumper.,.. and no pass side wing vent glass.. and no cowl panel where wiper shafts are,,. and...

so humm..

some day it will die though.,.

eventually,.,

its only a matter of time.,, before kaboom!

hehe

then i will just say "oops" and cry for a split second, and then FINALLY get to part it out.. :haha:

ive drop shifted and floored it totally from dead stop a few times but it only spins off the tire for about 10 foot, and its not evne fast at all, no where near it, i even have tried to reverse j hook it but it wont do anything like that lol., it just wont die, its tough engine and trans, but it just has no real power, these 22RE engines were around 78HP stock, its more of an oversized rider mower more than anything else:haha:
    if it had a 350 in it it would probably pull a wheelie though im sure :bow:

good luck.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2005
  5. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

freeway driving doesn't bother me 0-60 5miles and 2 gasstations :haha:
    my toy is not the problem child this time 4cyl,5spd,44/60,529s and 39x18x15 BOGGERS
    best paully shore voice ILLEGAL,ILLEGAL chill budddie
    its my big chevy

if you guys think its tuff to lose to a ricer :confused: try loosing to a DUMPTRUCK :mad: :haha:

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Hey! An inline 250! :bow: :waytogo: :saweet: I had one of those in an '81 SWB with a 465 and 3.73 gears, too, along with 33" tires and the combo got 18 mpg on the highways.

Like Rene quoted, I wouldn't go lower than 4.10 either. 3.73 would be about the right RPM range to keep the powerband reasonable for highway driving duties. With 3.73's, I would bet you could still get 16 mpg with the 35's. :thinking:

7. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

wes, we talked about this truck waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back when
    you said you regretted getting rid of yours.i know your pain

ok the 60 has 410s and the 14 has 373s i have 410 carier,gears for the 14
    will i still have my bottom end?i dont want 2 own a pavement princess
    she's to big for rocks and really to slow for any real mud but it has bin dirty(in 9 different states)i just want to fool around a little,i have the toy to beat
    on.

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, and I'm still kicking myself even up to this day....... :doah:

IMO, if I were you, I'd install the 4.10's in the 14 and be done with it. Even for as much driving you said you did on highways, thats not much to lose out on RPM's or fuel. You would probably be happier with the lower gears than 3.73's, so it only makes sense to do it once and right the first time instead of "wishing"........much like me wishing I never sold my '81 SWB. :doah: :doah: :doah:

9. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

410s it is :D and hopefully another 9yrs of fun if you find any cheeeep 6 parts let me know damnyankee001@verizon.net
    wes, i showed my wife your post and she said oh honey keep your truck :D
    thanks for all the responces :bow:

10. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

this is just my opinion which does not mean much. LOL..

On my 78 blazer i ran 35 x 12.5 x 15 BFG All Terrains and had 4.10 gears with an sm 465 / np205 set up and a 6" lift. i was getting an average of 13-15 MPG. And it had a 350.

11. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

the 350 has a better rpm range, inline 6 4000 rpm's i will rebuild the motor 250-300hp :eek1: