Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear Heads!! What's up with all the different #s??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Burt4x4, Dec 20, 2000.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Gear Heads!! What\'s up with all the different #s??

Ok I'm talkin ratios hear
    Do the exsact ratios very depending on the type of axel they are going into.
    If I say I want 4.11s in a Dana60 rear and a Dana44 front and the answer I get is 4.10 in the rear and 4.08 in the front. Is ths right??Is it Normal to not have an exsact match front to rear???
    Hope this make sence???/////[​IMG]

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

2. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

Re: Gear Heads!! What\'s up with all the different #s??

The numbers have to match, no matter what axle they go into. The model number of the axle (44, 60 etc) is only a measure of the "strength" of the axle, not the physical size of the gears in it. The number of the gear (4.10, 4.11) is actually a ratio eg 4.10 turns of the driveshaft to 1 turn of the axleshaft. So, unless your tires are different diameters (unlikely), you want the front and rear axles to turn at the same rate. The only time you might, MIGHT, want different ratios is if the tires you run (for some wierd reason) are different diameters on the front and back (33s on the front, 35s on the back or some such), then you would have different ratios in the two axles to compensate for the different tire diameters, so the rears (in the above example) would turn more slowly than the fronts. In the example, you might want 4.11 in the rear, and 3.73 up front so the fronts will turn more for each driveshaft revolution than the rears thus allowing each tire to cover the same distance. Get it? BTW, the numbers for the gears are funky decimals so the pinion teeth are constantly hitting new ring gear teeth at each revolution. If they were even numbers (4:1) the same teeth would always touch each other causing funky wear patterns. I hope this helps.

Email: xiaozhu@my-deja.com

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya thats what I thought! So what I've been told is that even though the rear is taking 4.10 and front is 4.09 the drive shafts and axels are still turning at the same rate or revolutions per turn..... I'm still not sure what or why the #'s would be different if they turn the same!!........

4. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

They are turning slightly different, but a difference that small is not a problem. The ones you talk about would take 400 drive shaft revolutions to make one revolution of the tires different and that would be if you continued in a perfectly straight line with perfectly matched tires. That difference is one of the reasons that you can not run four wheel drive on hard surfaces

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Hey BURT, go to Randy ring and pinion site, and read through most of his tech talk and gear talk. A whole new world of gear knowledge. But the link Im providing talkes about the very question you asked. And no, the gears do not have to be the same exact ratio. Just read this link.
    http://www.ring-pinion.com/Gear Talk/Myths.html

I miss my Ex, but my aim is getting better!
    http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey ftn96.....Thanks!!! that paragraph is exsactlly what I was talkin about! man I was cornfuzed [​IMG]LOL
    Cool thanks Fellas I feel much better now

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status