Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear Help needed, carrier issues?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5er4Life, Jun 18, 2006.

1. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Ok heres the deal, me and Justin (smokkey) are installing 4.56 gears in his 14 bolt and we trying to figure out what the problem is. We are getting 12 thousands of axial runout on the carrier and 20 thousands of radial runout on the carrier. Were trying to determine if the its the carrier, ring set, or the housing before we go too much further. Everything has been very carefully deburred (in between the ring gear and carrier, bearing seats, etc...) We have taken the ring gear off and rotated it 180 degrees, and still we are getting a huge runout on the carrier. The backlash is varying 10 thousands from one side of the ring gear to the other. I would hate for Justin to buy another carrier and have it turn out to be the ring set.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

do you have the dial gauge running on the backside of the carrier or on the ring that you are finding this runout? I mean if its the carrier you are testing on, the gear isn't going to cause that. I guess it could in theory warp the carrier a bit but I doubt that much. If you really suspect the carrier, pull the ring gear off, set it in the housing and check the runout.

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I would start by pulling the ring gear and checking the carrier as Sled_Dog said. That will give you the best idea on where to start.

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Is this a 14FF or SF. If it is a FF also check the following.

-Check the threads in the housing and caps for damage. It could pull the carrier off of center a little bit.
    -Check the surface where the 2 halfs of the carrier mate together.

5. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

yeah, it's a 14ff.

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I am assuming that you removed hte original gears form the carrier.
    How was the gear pattern on that set. If the carrier or housing were warped it might appear to be a good pattern, but it would be very large due to the runout.

You aren't by chance installing "genuine" brand gears are you?

7. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

the gears are yukons. from what K5er said the pattern on the old gear set looked ok. K5er was doing the work I was just assisting him. The big problem was when we were checking the backslash it was very tight it was reading 2 thousands then it would loosen up to 12 thousands I really don't know much about gears just trying to remeber what was going on yesterday.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  8. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

The runout I was checking was on the carrier, which leads me not to blame to the ring set. Also, the runout was the same whather it was checked on the carrier or ring gear. The pattern on the old ring set looked ok though, with that much variation it would be obvious to see a huge change in the wear pattern, but the pattern moves very little from heel to toe. I do suspect the carrier, the carrier bearings are brand new, pressed on properly and I cleaned the journals where the bearing seats on the carrier. No burrs or anything like that on any part of the carrier. I used a small machinist file to make sure there were no burrs on any of the mating surfaces. The carrier halfs are perfectly clean, I had suspected that but I pulled it apart and we put it back together, clean, burr free, and torqued evenly and properly. At the same time we pulled out the adjusters cleaned the threads, oiled them and put them back in. The surface on the housing where the carrier bearing caps sit are perfect, no burrs, not rounded out. Oh and the carrier halfs were put back in the proper orientation.

Justin, Albert has to call that guy I was telling you about in Santa Ana with all the chevy parts. Nevertheless, I asked Albert to ask Tom how much it would be for the carrier.

9. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I will keep this thread updated as we figure out whats going on in there. Were picking up a new carrier this weekend and I will post the results. I dont think there are enough threads on here about gear swappin, hopefully these will help someone else at a later date.

10. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Ok its been a while since I fixed it but I wanted to update it here so in case someone runs into the same issue as us. It turned out to be the carrier, I have no idea how the original setup became that way as the old gears, bearings and everything looked perfectly fine. At the same time we took the carrier from the yard I also grabbed the screw adjusters, thinking that possibly the adjusters may be a little out of whack too. After I got the new carrier bearings pressed on and the new adjusters in I got a axial and radial runout of .002" Before I pulled the carrier from the yard I checked the runout just to make sure I wasnt getting another bad carrier. So everything went well, gear setup went perfectly backlash checked right perfectly and that axle will live a good life. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

11. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

and once again thanks to readymix for your wisdom in the black art of gear setup. :D

12. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Good to hear it is fixed. Not really a black art either, but it can be a major PITA sometimes:D

13. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

big thanks to Jeremy(K5er4Life) for helping me out big time :waytogo: I have yet to run the axle, since I'm still working on the truck. and thanks to readymix for the advice :waytogo:

14. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

You should head over this way sometime and wheel at wildomar OHV. Parts of it are a little cramped for a fullsize though.

15. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I would love to tag along, but I still have a few things to do to my blazer, gears and locker for the front axle, and a front driveshaft and I should be ready to rock.:saweet: I could take my other rig, but if a blazer would have a tough time then I dont think my crew cab on 37's would have any easier of a time!! :eek1: or Justins burb for that matter.:D

16. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I run my longbed through there all the time. The only issue I have is the detroit in the front without Hyd Assist.......soon to be solved.

17. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

Im down to run the trail! come awn jeremy take your crew cab through there when u get it running :D

18. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

It is a whole series of trails. Nothing really challenging except for one hill that I will "NOT" do.

19. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Hmmm...whats this hill that you speak of that you will not do? Are you chicken! :p: :D

No crew cab wheeling, thats my poor little burnt up baby now. Last week I just got a little engine fire that took care of a few little things under the hood. :mad:

I would love to take the blazer down there when I get an actual 4 wheel drive.:crazy: Got any pics of that place. I heard of it and it sounds like a nice little place to go for a day wheel.

20. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Yeah it is a great place to wheel for a little while. Not too sure on how hard you think hard is, but the hill I won't do looks like a great spot for a flop. My truck is a DD rig too, so no flopping for me. I have tried it a few times from the top, but it gets real tipsey and I always back out.

I have been going there at night to beat the heat.....no pics. I will get some whenever I go during the day though.