Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gear Indicator hook up to Steering Column

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BEHJR, Jul 19, 2003.

1. BEHJR

BEHJR 1/2 ton status

'75 K5
    Took the dash apart to see how to fix the gear indicator on the steering column. I cannot see how it is linked to the steering column that rotates as you change gears (P to R or the Ds). Since my Chiltons does not go into that detail, I have no clue. There is evidence of southern engineering and I am wondering if I am missing a part. Anyone with a service manual or knowledge of a '75 dash --- HELP !!
    The red indicator is there with the spring that moves it to the left, but no hook up to the steering column is apparent. There is a piece of string or filament that looks broken, but I am assuming the is from PO. Also if you have a service manual that gets into this kind of detail, I would sure like to know what it is, so I can get one....
    Maybe the LMC catalogue has a pic. I have ordered 3 I think, and have yet to receive one.

Thanks.

BH.

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Xtreme Off-Road

Xtreme Off-Road Registered Member

The piece of string is what moves the indicator. If you pull on the piece that is hanging out of the dash, the indicator should move. The end of that string would normally be attached to the edge of your steering colomn with a clip.

3. BEHJR

BEHJR 1/2 ton status

Then I guess I am missing the clip. Any idea what it looks like and where it is attached ? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i think for just the clip you might have to hit a scrap yard..or make one..

5. Xtreme Off-Road

It kinda looks like one of those clip-nuts and it attaches to the edge of the steering column that moves with your shifter.

6. BEHJR

BEHJR 1/2 ton status

Are you looking in a manual ?? If so which one.

I appreciate your help. Maybe one of the auto parts store has a pic. I sure cannot find one.

BH.

BH.

7. Xtreme Off-Road

This is all from memory. I have taken apart my dash enough times. Have you ever seen the little clip nuts that come with new speakers. You could just tie the string to it and clip it somewhere around the bottom half of your column.

8. BEHJR

BEHJR 1/2 ton status

There is a L shaped gizmo sticking out from the column that looks like it is about in the right position. However, there is no hole in it for the string to go through. Is this what you are talking about. Maybe a clip or something is missing from that. I cannot believe it is string attached. LOL. Talk about cheap.
    I have no clue about the speaker clips you are talking about. I am sure these are the same on PUs as well. I guess my first trip to the junk yard is in order. Maybe wait a while and grow a shopping list.

Thanks again.

BH.

9. Xtreme Off-Road

It sounds like you found the right clip. You can take it off the column by getting under it with a small screwdriver and pushing it towards the firewall.

10. BEHJR

BEHJR 1/2 ton status

Anybody parting out a 75-78, let me know. Put it in parts wanted as well. Seem to be the same for a number of yrs.

Thanks.

BH.

11. DUKSRULE

DUKSRULE 1/2 ton status

You can use a spring type paper clip too. Not a normal on but the kind that is black and shaped like a triangle and then has the 2 metal arms to make it open. You can squeeze the arms and remove thme from the clip. Tie a piece of string around one of the small ones and then take the arms off and slide it onto the column. If your column still has the clip on it just pull it off and rap some string around it then push it back on. It is pretty simple. You can get the paper clips at Walmart or something like that.